Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Arena Matching

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 17, 2010
I think you guys at 101 need to rethink how the computer matches people up for PVP. I just started playing PVP and have been VERY frustrated with having to duel against players that are a much higher level than I am. I have dueled in 1, 2, and 3 player PVP and almost every time I am matched against much higher lvl players. This makes for a very short, frustrating, and boring duel. I read what Gamma posted about how the system of matching PVP duels works, and really think it needs to be adjusted. I would rather get a message saying there wasn't anyone available in my ranking lvl to duel, than be matched with an impossible to beat opponent.

I also think there may be some cheating going on. After one of the duels, I commented about getting matched against such high lvl players and one of the people that had just beaten me was saying something about how he had cheated again, how excited he was that "it" had worked again. I don't know much about computers, but if someone is running a program to make them win every time, some one should do something about that.

I really like the challenge of PVP, but I think it needs to be tweaked a bit to make it more fair.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
I have been playing awhile but just recently started using the PVP and just had a few suggestions.

Most important:
First, the ranked matching in 1 vs 1 needs to be reviewed. My level 41 Balance wizard gets matched often vs GM and Legendary wizards and I don't see how that is fair. At the least you should be able to limit the highest level you want to battle like you can in the practice arena.
Either that or the level 50 to 60 level players should have their own arena separate from those below level 50.
Most of my battles take less than 30 seconds to start so I am not waiting a long time.

Secondly, I have done some 4 vs 4 mostly for fun but the battles never seem fair. There is a distinct advantage to the team that goes first.
It seems to me that the turns should alternate between teams so that the first player on one team goes, then the first player on the second team, then the second player on the first team and so on.
Or make the turns totally random like when a pet casts a spell - that way no one knows which order the turns will happen.
Anyway, It seems like 4 vs 4 is more for fun than real competition.

Defender
Feb 28, 2010
Last night I was in PVP with 2 of my wizards.. here are:

My Stats:

Life, Level 12 - Private
Fire, Level 35 - Corporal

Made a team, waiting no longer than 1 minute and went into the arena.... What do I see...

Opponents stats:

Balance, Grandmaster - Private (actual level unknown, but was minimum 58 which I found out after Forest Lord was cast)
Myth, Legendary - Private

Ok so, according to KI's system of matching, Level and Rank are the factors. In 2v2 or higher, an average of both are taking into account.

An explanation would be great of how the average of my wizards and my opponents wizards could actually be matched up?

The current PVP system that KI has running is so flawed it's not funny. It is unfair and does not represent true PVP. PVP is suppose to be about skill and teamwork. Critical damage and resist should be removed entirely from the arena as Wizards should be relying on the knowledge of their spells and strategy.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2010
I how do you level up from privet?Do you have to win a certain amount of duels?Also with the arena tickets i think you should be able to get a night mare pet for say ,500 arena tickets.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2011
legoman597 wrote:
I how do you level up from privet?Do you have to win a certain amount of duels?

This page in the player guide shows what pvp points you need to gain higher ranks. https://www.wizard101.com/home5/w101playersguide/page_8ad6a4041ebc90c5011ebcfa3e6b004e

Would an admin know if there be more rewards soon at the pvp vendor in unicorn way?

PVP is extremely challenging in this game because of the large gap in levels that are possible between opponents. I would really enjoy pvp armor that gives more magic defense and less offensive power as the main strategy in pvp seems to be killing opponents in one hit.

It would be interesting to see more status effect spells as opposed to damage only. The stuns I've seen so far seem to only effect people the round they are cast. And if I'm not mistaken they only have an effect if you are the player that gets to take your turn first.

It would also be nice if the first turn of the round would alternate between players. It feels unbalanced when one player always has a chance to put a shield up or heal before the other player attacks.

Ideally I'd rather only fight againt people within 4 or 5 levels of me. I believe with this and more pvp rewards I'd spend a greater amount of time in pvp. If matches must stay the way they are, I would like the option to decline a match or to be shown a message saying no matches are available if the only opponents with a 10 level or greater gap from my level are in the pvp queue.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Ruppert wrote:
I recently submitted bug-report on this subject (mismatched levels), and recieved e-mail that said, "We are aware of the problem and have people working on it".

That was a couple weeks ago, and my 5th level (Knight ranked) character is still facing 18th and 19th level players in PvP! Some of them are Knights and Captains, but even a 19th level Private can easily defeat me by sheer number of cards in their decks. My sole purpose for playing PvP with my 5th level character was to get enough Tickets and rank to purchase the Guardian PvP gear. Under the current matching system, this will never happen because I am forced to play such high level opponents. After much playing, I have most of the tickets, but can't get above Knight

The e-mail reponse said KI was "working" on it. Any progress?
Twenty of my friends and I have managed to get all commander gear on level 10 and under. My level five made warlord 61-1 and the loss was a result of a game crash, record with all commander gear was 146-11 no jokes. Your strategy is at fault here not the game. First of all pick the right school and learn what it takes to be a warlord. Earn the right to be there.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
Malhavoc wrote:
I have a major issue with the rank system.

The last two duels I had were against level 40 pyromancer who was a corporal, and a level 38 pyromancer who was a sergeant.

My character is a level 28 necromancer captain.

In the duel against the level 40 pyromancer I won, and gained 6 points of rank.

In the duel against the level 38 I lost and lost 25 points of rank.

How in the world is this system fair when dueling opponents 10-12 or more levels higher for little or no gain, yet losing costs more than four times the gain from a single duel.

In both instances the duel was matched in less than ten seconds, so it would seem the system thought they were very evenly matched.

At this point I am stopping dueling because to make up for a single loss I need to win 80% of the duels. It seems unreasonable to expect to win at that rate against higher level opponents.
i feel your pain i have a level 36 magus balance i fight legendaries gain 5-8 points lose once and lose 25-29 points

Defender
Jun 12, 2009
ok i dont think this search thing really works i get matched against a lvl ten apprentice

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
Gamma wrote:

The Ranked Player vs Player (PvP) matching system in Wizard101 is based on two very important factors: the Level of your Wizard character and the current PvP Rank of your Wizard character. The Level of your character is more important than the Rank, but your Rank is still a significant determining factor.

When you join a Ranked match, the system takes your information and tries to pair it up as closely as possible with other players who are currently waiting to compete. If no comparable players are waiting to compete, the system will widen the search. The longer you wait, the wider the search, and the bigger the difference between yourself and your opponent.

For matches of 2v2 or higher, the system will average out the determining factors for all the participants and attempt to match up players to the best teams and opponents that are available. The more players who are online and participating in the Player vs Player feature, the more closely the teams will be matched. When there are fewer players participating in the Player vs Player feature, the team members will be more varied and the differences between opponents will be larger.

What if you're a level one Warlord?

Survivor
Jun 13, 2010
Ok Gamma. The only problem i see is this. Practically every time I do a pvp match, i end up going against a wizard that is 8 to 10 levels higher than myself. OR they're a sergeant of some kind and i'm a private STILL because of this. Just asking that you fix that little problem with match-ups. Thanks

Alric BlueRider lv50 Ice wizard

Survivor
May 30, 2010
I also have problems with the match-up system for ranked PvP matches. As a total noob to 101s PvP in my FIRST match I was set against a Sergant. How is that fair? :x

I truely believe that KI needs to fix this... as for now I do not believe that I will be trying PvP again anytime soon.

Survivor
Oct 27, 2010
i am a lvl 60 balance wizard and i think that pvp is unfair ice is unfair they have too high resists and too high health and they have unfair attacks no one gets it ices attacks are not weak at all snow angel is so cheap they always use it in 1v1 and they have unfair blades they make it worse when they use treasure cards plz disable treasure cards in ranked pvp they have a cheap amulet they can get that gives them a plus fourty five a plus fourty a plus thirty five and a balefrost i mean really how unfair the only blades balance have is a plus twenty and a plus twenty five i mean really and they have no balefrost ring thing unfair and then ice takes fire ability damage over time leaving everyone else defensless i mean really and storm is unfair the new card super charge and tempest should both be for balance cause balance has to do with pips and heckhound really seriously this is so cheap. i hardley know even one balane thats a warlord

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Gamma,

I understand the matching. Its the rank points that is frustrating an unfair IMO. Im level 35 Warlord with obviously no critical strikes. Im being matches against level 60 wizards showing off their new waterworks gear getting criticals almost every strike. Their rank is private.

The matching from that is obviously unfair and uneven but we deal with it. For them to get 30 points of rank with my probable loss and me get 0 points from a win goes beyond reasonable. Wouldnt you agree?

Is this a way of saying stay out of PVP until your level 60 or dont get to good?

If the matches continue like tis PLEASE evaluate your point system to factor in level as well as rank.

Thanks

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Gamma,

I wanted to inquire if KI is considering looking at the ranking point system.

Im a medium level wizard ranked warlord. All I seem to duel is private legendary wizards. I barely hang on with their level 58 spells and criticals (which I cant even achieve). If thats the matching so be it. However, Im getting ZERO points. Obviously if I lose the loss in points is significant. Is there going to be a future modification to the point structure? As it stands it seems the only choice is to inevitably lose or stop dueling until Im legendary myself. Im one of the people that play the game to PVP, but the system is driving me away.

Thank you for your time and reply.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
Here is a suggestion to solve some a primary problem.
Is it possible to encode the pvp arena outfits with a certain signature that keeps you from ranking down to a level lower than the rank you aquire it.
let me try to explain.

Main Theory:
If you get to Commander to get your commander gear, then you can not go below a certain rank, but still able to 'rank down' to gain tickets.

Exception #1
Lets say you worked your tail off getting to commander and have aquired enough tickets to get your boots. when you put them on, you are now EXEMPT from rank of private. ( this goes for any gear you may buy the time)

Exception #2
after gaining your second piece of gear you can go no lower than Sergeant

Exception #3
After gaining all 3 pieces you are go no lower than Knight.

That would put a big damper on allot of complaints and balance out the arena in a big way.

Rylee (Tomb Raider) Level 33 Fire Wizard

Survivor
May 09, 2011
travisAk wrote:
Ruppert wrote:
I recently submitted bug-report on this subject (mismatched levels), and recieved e-mail that said, "We are aware of the problem and have people working on it".

That was a couple weeks ago, and my 5th level (Knight ranked) character is still facing 18th and 19th level players in PvP! Some of them are Knights and Captains, but even a 19th level Private can easily defeat me by sheer number of cards in their decks. My sole purpose for playing PvP with my 5th level character was to get enough Tickets and rank to purchase the Guardian PvP gear. Under the current matching system, this will never happen because I am forced to play such high level opponents. After much playing, I have most of the tickets, but can't get above Knight

The e-mail reponse said KI was "working" on it. Any progress?
Twenty of my friends and I have managed to get all commander gear on level 10 and under. My level five made warlord 61-1 and the loss was a result of a game crash, record with all commander gear was 146-11 no jokes. Your strategy is at fault here not the game. First of all pick the right school and learn what it takes to be a warlord. Earn the right to be there.

"earn the right to be there" is a joke. If you and you're friends are commanders level 10 and under in this present pvp matching system the only possible way for that to happen is by cheating. You have a level 60 group with you and you sponge off the wins. How is that earning your rank?
It doesn't look like it wil be fixed anytime in the near future either. Going back into the forums 2 years the same issues are being complained about. If I want fair pvp I'll jump on WoW.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2010
Explorer
May 25, 2009
My friend is lvl 10 ice.
and she got paired up with a lvl 30 fire. i know cause i was watching and i looked at his stats! I: how is that fair?
and i am not trying to insult anyone just saying!

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
TigerStrikeGirl

Rank. is the answer to your question.

I have the same problem. I am a lvl 33 wizard. When I get into the rank of Knight or higher, I get paired with lvl 45+ wizards who are private rank.

Not a fair play, having to tackle wizards who have higher damage gear and spell selection. But, I would rather lose to a lvl 45-49 wizard then to get annihilated by a critical spell.

Explorer
Apr 09, 2011
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Bedard101 wrote:

Rank. is the answer to your question.

but not the answer to the problem.

LEVEL is what actually matters

because

Rank doesn't control what spells you get, what damage you do, how resistant you are or anything else.

LEVEL is really all that matters and players shouldn't be matched with other players that are too far from their own level.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
This "Matching System" doesn't work at all!

My level 10 and my level 26 friend fought a legendary and a level 10!
Are you Serious!?!

Please fix this!

Survivor
May 23, 2011
I could not agree more the ranking system is broken - the best way to fix this is as following

1. the system must consider equipment and therefore resulting abilities such as resistance / block-rating etc,.. when matching fights

2. when matching there must be an option for the player to either wait for a close match or to agree for a fast match to a possible less even opponent

This can be done in many ways - such as - the system tries to match at least 90 % considering all aspects - if no match was possible after 2 min - system messages ask for permission to reduce to 85 % and so fort,,..

should be easy to code !

Chatos

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
pbinder wrote:
I could not agree more the ranking system is broken - the best way to fix this is as following

1. the system must consider equipment and therefore resulting abilities such as resistance / block-rating etc,.. when matching fights

2. when matching there must be an option for the player to either wait for a close match or to agree for a fast match to a possible less even opponent

This can be done in many ways - such as - the system tries to match at least 90 % considering all aspects - if no match was possible after 2 min - system messages ask for permission to reduce to 85 % and so fort,,..

should be easy to code !

Chatos

As long as the school is given away i think this is an idea going on the right direction.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2009
You may say that are rank and level are fairly determind in battle selecting ,but you are underminding the whole problem. We need a better way of selecting characters for PvP. We need a better idea like say you can only fight a player in PvP unless there is a character of equal rank in PvP in waiting. Please take notice of the idea and may jugment rain down on this matter!

~Thank you for reading

Tyler SpiritBringer