Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disappointment in Rude Players

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 18, 2012
Grace Dreamrider on Feb 24, 2014 wrote:
someone may have already said this,, but why is your 8 year old son playing wizard101? It is 10+ for a reason.
They just suggest 10+ for a game rating. It's still ok for younger kids to play of course.

Defender
Mar 31, 2014
llemarrajade on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
I'm a parent and game with my 8-year old son. We've enjoyed our time on Wizard 101, but I'm likely going to cancel my subscription. Tonight, my son was heckled by another player who had open chat. As a spoiled sport this individual proceeded to cast 0 level spells on himself and allow my son's character to die. While I understand that this is a game and no one has to follow any code, players should remember that little kids could be on the opposite end. My son's feelings were very hurt....He couldn't understand why someone would treat him so poorly.
This game is not for 8 year olds imo - just 8 and playing Internet games??? there are more fun things to do probably, multiplayer games have tons of rude people regardless which game you play and you'll always find some of them!

At least 16 year olds should be age to allow for multiplayer games or just play totally alone and don't allow friend requests or anything of that sort.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
I have seen this sort of thing. Once i stumbled on it on my way to nightshades tower. Player was with 2 others that were at full pip and not doing a thing. At this level? Not pleasant.

Being a higher level, I jumped in to help. I managed to keep everyone healed up until the end of the fight. Naturally I assumed the other 2 players lost connection.

I accepted a friend request, and that person is, to this day, still on my list.

Funny thing was, right after that, the other players were running around the street.

Seen this a few times since. Best plan? Ask before jumping in.

Someone verbally abrasive? Like Zeke said, hit ignore. Prolonged verbal abuse, even if it does not violate the defined rules, is a form of harassment. Why let it come to that? Hit ignore.

Survivor
Oct 11, 2013
I just wanted to point out that you can report mean pepole by clicking on their name or charcter and then click "report" and type in why and a moderater will go over everything and watch the person.
I've had to do it a few times myself too.

Brandon Storyrunner-Level 51 Balance/Ice Wizard

Explorer
Jun 29, 2009
Michael161 on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
It would be a shame if you stopped your son playing because of the actions of one apparent idiot.

How did your son read the open chat messages anyway? (By open chat, I am assuming you mean Text Chat. The default option for 8 year-olds is Menu Chat which strictly limits the things players can say to each other. If your son can read Text Chat, it is because you enabled that feature for him.)

If you are referring to Menu Chat, then there are a few "Taunts" that can be used, but they are pretty harmless. If your son was upset by these, then perhaps he is still too young for a game of this kind.

It is also possibe that the other player was not taunting your son, but the monsters. I like to toss a few "Take that!"'s and "Meet your maker's" into a fight for colour. It's part of the role-play.

The other player may have been casting healing or protection spells on himself. He would not have known that your son was only eight years old, just as other players do not know I'm in my 50's. He would have expected your son to defend himself as best he could.

I would also point out that your son did not "die". No-one dies in Wizard101. If a player loses a match, he or she goes a bit woozy, and will be magically transported out of harm's way to the Commons. No death - just "get me out of here". If you explain that to your son, he may be less upset.

I couldnt agree more, it's actually the parents fault for not putting strict limits on their child's account like Menu Chat.....

Survivor
Mar 03, 2014
I have that problem too. Players may not have a heal spell for other players though. Try making him a life wizard they can heal.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
  1. That's horrible! However sadly there are older people such as teenagers, don't complain guys we've all been like that a one point or another, that are going to be rude, conceited, and "spoilsports". Don't fear though those people will eventually be muted or reported, for their crimes. Next time your son gets picked on report the player who was being rude. Then move your son to another realm so he doesn't have to deal with the jerk. If your son ever needs a friend tell him Sophia Goldenleaf will help him. :) Sophia Goldenleaf

Survivor
Mar 28, 2010
well i am sry this happened but you probably should just switch him to menu chat where he cant get insulted and i know what its like, everyone does because your on with friends then that one child like kid is being annoying its very upsetting why people just go on and constantly annoy you like that, and again i'm sorry this happened to your son.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
Maybe the other person had no idea what they were doing or couldn't heal your son theres several different scenarios to what may have been the reason that he didn't heal your son other than he was just being rude.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
i feel so sorry for him. and i also wish we could talk openly in pvp without people looking at our stats and making fun of you.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2011
Totally understand what you're saying about rude players. My niece is 7 years old and plays the game as well. She constantly complains about people letting her die, laughing at her, calling her names, and ignoring her when she asks for help. So when I know she is going to play, I usually join her on my account to look after her and make sure she is having a safe fun experience. In my down time, I usually set up shop in the commons and keep an eye on what players are saying to other players as I have noticed that is a common area for online bullying, mostly because the vast majority of them have no membership and that's the only place they can really be. While kids can be kids, or so the saying goes, parents need to start actually watching what their children are doing online instead of using games as a babysitter...
I have seen a lot of kids say a lot of horrible things to each other on there and I just warn them in private messenger to knock it off. The only advice I could give you is to disable chat so your son doesn't have to see the harsh reality of unsupervised online gaming and so that he may be able to actually enjoy the game.

Explorer
Oct 30, 2011
Hey. I don't live in the U.S, I live somewhere with a very different time zone, so I am never on in 'the busy hours'.

But I still meet mean people. I know how it feels, I was bullied in real life when I was younger. But now I know how to answer, or ignore. I am never answering rude, that would just give them a reason to report me. I am usually aswering something like 'Thank you' or 'That's sweet'. Then I'm ignoring them, and/or teleporting away or changing realms. Unfortunately there is still younger children playing, and rude people shouldn't 'destroy' they're game experience. I believe human nature is more like 'animal nature' then we believe (I'm not saying animals are evil). That is because many people 'say before they think'. I am always trying to think 'How would I react to that if someone said this to me?' if I am going to type something. And if it's hard to see what I say is irony, I am often making a :P smiley or a ;) smiley so that they know I don't really mean it. But again, not all children understand it.

-Jonathan FrogHeart
-Wolf FrogHeart
-Angel FrogHeart

Explorer
Feb 17, 2011
Here's how i think you should deal with it, if a person is upsetting you, KI invented the ignore button for a reason, so use it. If a person is being rude, or trying to hurt my feelings, i just use the ignore button. Sure you can still see the person, but you can't see if they are trying to upset you anymore. Hope this helps since w101 is a great game. It's hard to dodge rude players in MMO games, especially in W101. Hopefully the ignore button will help you, if you use it, and your son

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
Bluestar0713 on Aug 29, 2014 wrote:
Here's how i think you should deal with it, if a person is upsetting you, KI invented the ignore button for a reason, so use it. If a person is being rude, or trying to hurt my feelings, i just use the ignore button. Sure you can still see the person, but you can't see if they are trying to upset you anymore. Hope this helps since w101 is a great game. It's hard to dodge rude players in MMO games, especially in W101. Hopefully the ignore button will help you, if you use it, and your son
The ignore button is a great option that was given to us in the game, and I feel KI has done an outstanding job in maintaining the hostility that comes in gaming. It is one of fewest games that has some control options in what is seen or said.

Defender
Jul 11, 2013
I'm sorry that happened to your son. I've seen so many players that are sooooo mean! Almost like cyberbullying. Happens a lot in PvP, where the players watching the match would pick on you while battling, and a lot of people who think that they are better than others. Calling someone a "noob" is..... just insulting( I wish that Kingsisle would remove that word) I hate it. But I would say: stand up for yourself. I experienced cyberbullying and bullying in general in real life, so I know how that feels. If it really bothers your son, he can just press the "ignore" button so that they won't bother you anymore.

ExaltedHarbinger of Light

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
I'm a parent and game with my 8-year old son. We've enjoyed our time on Wizard 101, but I'm likely going to cancel my subscription. Tonight, my son was heckled by another player who had open chat. As a spoiled sport this individual proceeded to cast 0 level spells on himself and allow my son's character to die. While I understand that this is a game and no one has to follow any code, players should remember that little kids could be on the opposite end. My son's feelings were very hurt....He couldn't understand why someone would treat him so poorly.
turn your son's text chat off

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Dragoncloud888 on Sep 13, 2014 wrote:
turn your son's text chat off
That solves the problem of rude players how again?

Right, back to the matter at hand.

Simple to fix. There is an ignore button, learn it, use it, love it. Teach him all about it.

Play with him? Witnesses help. Especially ones well versed in conduct, both in game and in chat. In addition to the ignore button there is also the report button. If rules on conduct are violated, don't be shy to use it.

Helpful hint? Port and have your finger on the print screen button. It saves jpg files to your pictures that can be included in report, saves time and effort on the part of the staff.

Hope this helps.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2014
I will say, It says you can't report players for being rude. But if he was cussing, then you can report him. Also about the take off text chat. If you turn it off. He can't hear text chat. So that would solve the player's problem. And remember: Just cause your son is 8 doesn't mean everyone in the game is 8. Some could be 5, 16, or even 50! But into what you said. I am also sad about what some players do. It's just disrespectful. Anyway I hope this helped!

-Brady FireBringer Family! - There whenever you need them!

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
I've encountered some rude players too -- but, I've accepted that it's how it goes. It's too bad that there's ((no)) real consequences for the 'bad' ones; but, there's always other options: like ignoring them and changing realms. I only use the 'report' button when someone is trying to cheat other players or name-calling in a way that seems harassing to another player, or to myself. It's too bad that there are players like that who sort of put a damper on game-play; and I'm sorry to hear your son's feelings were hurt.

-- HOWEVER --

With that being said, there are also some really nice players. Some are friendly and helpful. I would like to say -- without trying to sounding pretentious-- that I'd like to think of myself as one of those players. I am nice to others, regardless of how they treat me. If I don't like them, I just ignore them.

The 'bad players' still don't damper my outlook on the game. I want to level up; and I know there are others who do too, so I am willing to help, if I can. If you see me around; and ask for my help, I'll gladly give it to you, if I have the time; and if not. I will add you to friends and help you the next time around.

So, if you're ever around and looking for some help... look me up.

Evan, level 66 Legendary Sorcerer, usually on Wraith Realm.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2010
FireMac456 wrote:
Well said ... especially the explanation about getting defeated in a battle (and not "dying"). I share the same character with my even younger son (Kindergarten). Because I also play the character and we have been leveling up, I enabled chat for the character...so my son sees the comments. He doesn't always know how to respond. And frankly, some of the nicer "friends" we have probably wonder about the erratic style of play and communication (my son doesn't chat, but I do when I play the character, we obviously play the character differently). But, in the end, it's a game. And it's been great about teaching my son good teamwork, how to play nicely. And, what to do when someone is mean (ignore and/or "unfriend" them). I have found the parental controls to be a great feature (when I remember to enable and disable certain abilities depending on who's playing). Give the game and your son a chance.
I think that is awesome that adults play with their sons and are good examples to them! :D

Survivor
Apr 13, 2013
Sorry that happened madam. That was rude of that character. Some people are really rude on this game but there are nice people too. Just ignore the rude ones and stick with the nice ones. Hope you and your son enjoy the game

Morgan Dreamthief Level 84

Survivor
Feb 14, 2011
Hi,
I wouldn't worry about it ma'am. Every now and then a player will jibe you or be rude to you. Sometimes they make fun of gear. When I was farming the Waterworks, this wizard in-game made fun of my pig gear. I brushed him off. I would not stop your son playing. Tell him to ignore the comments they make and/or say something back to them. If it happens a lot, simply report the player for rude words or behavior. Hope that helps!

Survivor
Jun 22, 2012
Funnyweather on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
I'm sorry that happened to your son. Unfortunately in every game I've ever played online there are players who act like that. The game is a lot of fun and if you can see past some of the bad players in the game there is a lot of enjoyment to be had.

My advice is to teach your son how to deal with rude people which is to ignore them and move on. Learning to interact with others online is something your son will have to learn after all. At least if he is going to have much in common with the kids at his school.
Finally, a good idea!

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Thomas ThunderDust on Aug 1, 2013 wrote:
I remember when this happened to me as well I was a level 19 ice wizard asking people in the commons if they could help me with defeating ice people within krokotopia to help me with my quest. The ice monsters were too tough for my guy to defeat on his own. Everybody told me to go away and called me names because I was stuck at that spot. It is sad seeing such an amazing game have so many bad seeds. It took me 2 weeks of asking for help and constant death before someone saw me dying and getting doubt's of quitting case it was too tough and they guy helped me. It was an ice wizard Cameron IceTalon that helped me with the quest he was level 50 at the time and was going to start farming a boss but stopped and decided to help unlike some now, and turned out to be an amazing friend.What I got from that kind gesture was that there still are kind people in the game its just getting harder to find them. Sorry if I waster anyone's time with this reply, I saw this thread and it reminded me of that time. If you are still playing is be glad to help you with any quest :) - Thomas ThunderDust level 70 ice wizard
When I was in the lower levels, I befriended a level 100 and a level 79--both in which do dungeons with me constantly. It's why I got to MB so fast. We are absolutely best friends, we do Malistaire's Lair frequently, and the best part? The high level dungeon drops I get to sell, so I can buy TCs. They are my buddies. I'd suggest getting some real life or good friends in game to help you.

-Daniel Dragonwraith, Adept Pyromancer

Survivor
Jun 22, 2012
I am very sorry this happened, and I agree. There are bad people in the world, the best way to deal with it is to is to leave right then, before it escalates into something greater. - Justin Ironflame Level 95