Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disappointment in Rude Players

AuthorMessage
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
ScooterTheGreat on Dec 2, 2012 wrote:
Yes, just tonight (or whenever anybody reads this) i was insulted or bullied by someone as well as all of you who have had this happen. I know i should have reported them, but i am slightly new to this game (not too much, but I've never reported/ignored any person) plus he ran away before i knew how to react.

What happened was me and a friend were doing pvp against this guy and another one (who did not bother us at all, good for him ). They beat us, which i was not ashamed of, and this guy began insulting me. He began calling me names and things. I am young, just to let you know, so i do not understand some stuff. The guy started calling me things like: baby, noob, loser, etc. I thought it was 'extremely' rude! But, alas, not all rude people can be stopped. He continued to say that I had noob gear, a noob pet, etc. and continued insulting me. But honestly, I'm a lower level than he is, therefore what he said makes no sense seeing that it is indeed not 'noob'. Wizards that have Wizard City gear would be 'noob' gear to me, but it wouldn't be right to say that because Wizard City wizards would only be able to have that gear, so it wouldn't be the same for them! Same goes with other things. I do not quite comprehend why he did this, as he won against us, and there was no reason to start insulting me. I believe this could have been either really bad sportsmanship or just a naturally mean/having-a-bad-day person.

I think that this might have been because also my friend said 'lol' (i don't know why though) and he started attacking him with words. My friend's character is safe/menu chat and could not hear or answer, so i spoke in response. I don't remember how he began arguing with me, but it became where he was calling me rude things. I logged off afterwards, but do you guys think it would have been better if i had reported him for harassment? I think bullies and rude wizards is a very important topic to discuss.

Dakota RavenHeart lvl 29
Seth CrowPyre lvl 9
Young wizard, your best bet is to learn how to use the ignore feature, it's a way you won't hear anything more that player says, you can also port away from the situation. Now that you have experienced this type of situation you will know how to deal with it. Before you play the game again experiment with how to place a player on ignore from the chat box.

I have defended many against this type of treatment and it is sad that is goes on in the game but it does so we need to know how to handle it and KI has given us that ability.

Mary

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
I am very sorry to hear this! :(
But Kingsisle Cannot fix rude behavior, it is something they have to learn on their on! Very sorry again!

But next time, Teach THEM the lesson ;)

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
Caitlin, I'm sorry that something like this happened to you. I shut off my chat for a while, just recently turning it on again because of how often things like this come up. The best thing you can do in a case like this is to report the person. Then, right after doing that, put them on your ignore list and change realms, or at least teleport away. The only way to stop this is for every victim to speak up. Most importantly, remember to keep your head up! Don't let this get to you. Happy questing!

Daniel Sandshard-Level 82 Sorcerer
Colin Legendweaver-Level 70 Conjurer
Brian Lifebringer-Level 42 Theurgist
Ethan Nightstrider-Level 38 Necromancer
Jordan Stormrider-Level 21 Diviner
Michael Icecaster-Level 14 Thaumaturge

Delver
Sep 27, 2009
This has been happening alot to me. I was saying to one wizard how he was so lucky he had an Oni pet when he said to me "Shut up or I will break all the bones in your body!!" I quickly reported him. You have the right to report the wizard that was a bully to you too. You should report him for being super rude to you and swearing at you. I hope that an administrator saw what he said!

Bailey Skullvault
Master Pyromancer

Survivor
Mar 18, 2011
I have to agree. Once in wysteria I was battling some hobogoblins for a quest and this guy just sat there, watching me battle for one round then joined. He didn't do anything but pass, so I managed to take one out but the other killed me. That was when he attacked.

Another time, I was in Marleybone in Knights court when a few wizards came and started to spam friend and say much rude comments (Just accept my request, (Modified Cuss Word) and more. Not really much, but they do get annoying

Thomas Stormsword Level 35 Diviner

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
robotdino123 on Dec 8, 2012 wrote:
This has been happening alot to me. I was saying to one wizard how he was so lucky he had an Oni pet when he said to me "Shut up or I will break all the bones in your body!!" I quickly reported him. You have the right to report the wizard that was a bully to you too. You should report him for being super rude to you and swearing at you. I hope that an administrator saw what he said!

Bailey Skullvault
Master Pyromancer
in an ideal world, no one would feel the need to go around bashing others to make themselves feel "big". but such is life on the interwebz~ it gives people a sense of anonymity, which makes it easier to be open, but some people abuse the privilege and trash others to build themselves up.

recently, my archmage balance wizard was on her way to the pet pavilion when i came across a situation in the commons~ a young male wizard was bothering a couple of girls, shouting out a felony offense (the one that really makes me see red), and they were freaking out, screaming "you're sick" and stuff. i stopped and watched for a bit, then reported him and privately messaged the girls to do the same, then ignore him and switch realms, therefore not giving him the attention he was obviously seeking. another time, my archmage death (who just so happens to be a male wizard) character put a stop to some harassment in the dye-shop by telling a guy to "back off and leave the girls alone"; i even befriended the victim of said harassment and stayed with her until the bully was gone, then told her to message me if anything happened (fortunately, she didn't).

my adult self says to just ignore it. but the bullied kid in me knows all too well how it feels to be singled out by someone for abuse or teasing. it makes the victim insecure, makes her (or him) wonder what s/he could have possibly done to become a target, and it becomes a vicious cycle. you did the right thing, bailey, and i think that everyone- kids, teenagers, and adults alike- should all follow that example.

don't retaliate; report, ignore, and switch realms. but, if you're ever the victim of harassment in the spiral and i'm there to see it, i've got your back.

-von

laura shadowsong, level 87 balance
valerian deathwhisper, level 80 death
sestiva stormblade, level 64 storm
tavia summershield, level 42 life
patrick dreamstalker, level 21 myth
tara winterbloom, level 21 ice
angela nightflame, level 17 fire

& the rest.

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
flutterby82401 on Sep 8, 2012 wrote:
I was in the commons glitch today, and the guy up there kept going on and on about how i was dumb, fat, and unsmart in real life. He said stuff like, " like seriously you are like a land whale" or "go lose some weight you fat (cuss word)." And he said stuff like "No one likes you" or " no one wants you up here" and " annoying people like you should die, die die die, oh, there is a hole go die in it." I wanted so bad to report him, but i didnt know what i could report him for. Another thing he said was "Are you in second grade? Are you ashamed of it? oh nvm i dont wanna work your brain too hard, people like you wouldnt undrestand." I almost started crying, cause he was being so mean to me. I asked him to stop being mean and leave me alone, and he said "if you wanna be left alone then leave"

Please help stop these kind of people

Caitlin Iceblade Level 35 Magus Theurgist
Caitlin Lifeblade Level 1 Novice Theurgist
What is the commons glitch? O_o

Wolf SilverSpear ~ Level 71 Pyromancer

Survivor
Jan 17, 2012
I was in the commons glitch today, and the guy up there kept going on and on about how i was dumb, fat, and unsmart in real life. He said stuff like, " like seriously you are like a land whale" or "go lose some weight you fat (cuss word)." And he said stuff like "No one likes you" or " no one wants you up here" and " annoying people like you should die, die die die, oh, there is a hole go die in it." I wanted so bad to report him, but i didnt know what i could report him for. Another thing he said was "Are you in second grade? Are you ashamed of it? oh nvm i dont wanna work your brain too hard, people like you wouldnt undrestand." I almost started crying, cause he was being so mean to me. I asked him to stop being mean and leave me alone, and he said "if you wanna be left alone then leave"

Caitlin, I know what you've been through, and i feel terrible, this one girl named Deirdre RainBringer was doing something very similar to what that guy did to you to me, I want to help stop them, but i'm pretty cuffed because i'm afraid they'll report me, and I don't want to lose my very hard work, but I still do want to help stop them.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Well, once i went afk for a bit and you know what? People were trying to do crazy stuff like dance on me or something when i came back! So, yeah i know how you feel.

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
Moonlighterz1000 on Dec 15, 2012 wrote:
Well, once i went afk for a bit and you know what? People were trying to do crazy stuff like dance on me or something when i came back! So, yeah i know how you feel.
Exactly the something happened to me. I was at a friend's castle and i just went to get a drink of water, and when i came back, everyone was drawing on my face, doing disgusting stuff on me, and it was totally weird. I told them to just leave me alone but they just reported me for no reason. I thought i was gonna get banned for some random reason cause i got reported. People have come to play this game for entertainment, not being harassed by other players.

Wolf SilverSpear ~ Level 74 Fire

Survivor
Feb 14, 2012
Ignore him, but not through the game. If you can tell what cuss word he is saying, report him for swearing and then quote the cuss word. It feels scary knowing that you're about to type it, but getting over with it is satisfying and KI will further notice the situation and deal with it.

Blaze WinterBlossom, Archmage Sorcerer

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
ChampCC101 on Dec 13, 2012 wrote:
Caitlin, I know what you've been through, and i feel terrible, this one girl named Deirdre RainBringer was doing something very similar to what that guy did to you to me, I want to help stop them, but i'm pretty cuffed because i'm afraid they'll report me, and I don't want to lose my very hard work, but I still do want to help stop them.
if you did nothing wrong, you won't lose your hard work. in fact, false reports may result in a loss of report privileges and/or sanctions against the other person's account if s/he has a history of making them.

unfortunately, good kids are usually intimidated by the bad ones into believing that something awful will happen to them if they attempt to stop the bullying... often, the bullies and trolls use scare tactics to get what they want. but remember~ no one has any power over you, unless you give them that power.

safe travels,
-von

Explorer
Mar 18, 2010
Yes, there are cases when different people say subsituting words for things. Also, they can say other things. I think if anyone ever does this, report them as fast as you can. This shouldn't be accepted on this site because I've seen many different ways people cuss. I do hope wizards101 can make their policy a little better.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
next time if some one is mean to you and they don't stop then try reporting them for offensive language and ignore them as well

Survivor
Jun 14, 2012
Some people don't have manner in wizard101. Everytime i am in a fight or battle, someone joins with out asking and everytime i join, first i ask and one day i reported someone for doing that.... it really makes me want to scream.

Survivor
May 24, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Not to get off topic here, but, Saying you can't stop something is just an excuse. It's not even relavent.

History, constantly reveals that things that people say, can not be done, have been done. Would you like examples?

Earth was flat, um, no, it's round.
Slavery will never end. Sorry, but it no longer exsists.
You can never get a man on the moon. 3 cheers the late, Niel Armstrong!
Women will never be equal to man. Sorry, but that is gone too.
Equal rights of everyone will never happen. Sorry, gone also.
Never have a black president, oh wait, President Obama?

So, will people say never a female president?
So, will people say you can never stop cursing?

People say that things will never happen, but if action is taken, it clearly can happen. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Sorry to ruin it for you, but some of the things you said still exist in the world.
I wish they didn't, but there is still slavery and unequal rights in some places.
Also, in the southern-eastern parts of the US there are still very racist people.

However, I love your spirit, and you're right! We can make a change.
Although I have a very hard time believing that everyone will be polite and nice to each other (it's psychologically impossible, I believe) if everybody takes responsibility for their own actions we can definitely make a change. Additionally, there were things the author could have done when the rude player was acting, well, rude. I think she learned what she could do next time!

Furthermore, I've seen people get around the filtered chat. I've been called a cass whole and other things, but I don't mind. Maybe if those things are hard for you to hear you should cancel text chat, or you can just ignore rude players. Good luck, anyway!

I am so greatly surprised to see all these people writing such nice and intelligent things to a person in need. Great job, guys!

Survivor
Mar 13, 2010
If he was cursing, then you could have reported him for that. There is also an ignore button, you could change realms, or simply just ignored him and walked away. No need to cry over that. It's a game, you should have fun.

Alyssa Fairyheart
Level 80

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
After reading about all of these stories of harrasement, I feel sorta lucky to have a friend with open chat that never abuses it at me.

Matthew Ironblood, level 46
"There is never weak or strong, just strategized and unstrategized"

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Anonymity + audience = total anarchy. It's the first law of internet social dynamics.

Ignore and move on. Report what you can, ignore what you can't. And for heaven's sake stay out of the commons on a busy realm in the late afternoon. For your own sanity!

There are usually so many young wizards idling about the commons, that even just going across the pond to the pet pavilion is a grueling test of your CPU and your patience.

• 15 unwarranted friend requests and/or group invites
  • Eleventy boys looking for a girl, but only girls who aren't looking for boys
  • Umpty-seven girls looking for a boy, but not any of the aforementioned boys
  • 9 stalkers
  • 14 stalker-targets spamming chat insulting and humiliating the stalkers publicly rather than ignoring and moving on
  • 24 "gift me" beggars and tc trade scammers
  • 8 trolls picking on passersby at random and calling them fat and telling them they should quit the game and go put a paper sack over their head and end their pitiful life, etc.
  • 3 people asking for Pagoda/Winterbane
  • 5 others asking for legit help with a boss somewhere
  • 15 open chatters idly backbiting and slandering another wizard they know in common
  • 28 afk spinners
  • 6 novices asking to be ported into Chancel or Ironworks so they can power level

Survivor
Dec 17, 2011

When this person cussed, that much can be an automatic report. People can be muted for days depending on that situation or a permanent mute. This person obviously had nothing else to do except be annoying judging by severity. If this happens again just tune them out. They only want a reaction. For example, in real life, bullies usually don't back down when you stand up on your own. They back down from a group, so if tuning them out doesn't work, try getting friends to help. The result should be very close to real life.

Blake FireGem

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
Zeze 121 on Oct 14, 2012 wrote:
don't worry about people like that. something like that happened to me once but i really don't care what people say to me. i was like a lvl 47 and i had just lost my membership and i was gonna get it back soon. Anyway i was in a pvp match and some lvl 22 kept calling my team bad words and my team members were my friends and i get really really angry if some one does that to my friends and then i got in a fight with the guy who was doing that and then i match ended the other team won because they all were no less than lvl 50 and all fire so four fire dragons in a row and i was not a ice and i did not even have scarecrow yet to get my health back so we lost, but all the people kept laughing at us. Then another rude person ported and started calling me a noob a lvl 10 was calling me a noob so i was about to say a lot of bad words to him but i controlled my self. all i said to him that he was the noob not me and then he said that he is a boy and i could see that and said it would be really sad to look at a boy beating up a girl i reported him and he reported me. i mean every single person in the room was calling me and my friend really bad words. they were saying things like x punches victoria in the face and that kinda stuff. then i just told every one to shut up and boom another report came up. Then finally i just left thinking why people do that kinda stuff but honestly i really dont care about what they say to me and you should not too
"Noob" is short for newbie which means new player, but most people take it as a weak, defenceless, stupid player. They are the noob, them bullies

Explorer
Jul 15, 2011
Hi guys. I always see people being mean to eachother, and it makes me sad. I see people trying to make out swear words as well, even though there's open chat, they don't use it, it's rated everyone, not teen! I just think how children swear because of the person that makes out swear words as well. Anyway, back to the point. Why do people be mean to eachother? Another thing I see is that high level wizards treat low level wizards like dirt. Some of them, but not all of them. It just saddens me that high levels are all like "You suck at this game because you're a low level, and that means you are a noob, and you are awful at this game."

Magus: Could you help me get to Chelsea Court? I can't get there myself.
Promethean: No! I care about PvPing and questing and money, not your stupid character! You're a noob, and always will be, go delete your low level noob.

Why are people like this? Why must they be mean to low levels, yet they were low levels themselves?

Explorer
Jun 12, 2011
llemarrajade on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
I'm a parent and game with my 8-year old son. We've enjoyed our time on Wizard 101, but I'm likely going to cancel my subscription. Tonight, my son was heckled by another player who had open chat. As a spoiled sport this individual proceeded to cast 0 level spells on himself and allow my son's character to die. While I understand that this is a game and no one has to follow any code, players should remember that little kids could be on the opposite end. My son's feelings were very hurt....He couldn't understand why someone would treat him so poorly.
At first glance, you are overreacting.

From what you've told us, the other person was simply playing defensively. That's not being a spoilsport~ that's self-sufficiency. Every school has the tools available to avoid defeat; if your son is old enough to play this game, then he is old enough to figure out how to defend himself; if, for whatever reason, he can't do so on his own, then it's up to you to teach him how.

On that note...

I don't care if you are 8 or 80~ if you join my battle, you are your own responsibility. I am under no obligation to sustain you and, if you jump in unannounced, I will not heal or buff you; not because I'm a spoilsport, or hate children, or whatever reason you decide to put in my mouth, but because I've been taken advantage of many times and now only carry enough resources for me (and me only) to get the job done as quickly as possible.

-

That all said and done, any heckling or swearing around the filter is always uncalled-for. But one thing is still a mystery to me... Menu-chatters and those with filtered/text chat cannot see what open-chat players are typing, so my question is: why does your 8-year-old son have access to 18+ chat?

Not that he'll abuse it. But, if you're that concerned about him seeing what other people with adult chat privileges may be typing, I suggest sending him a true friend code (assuming that you play on separate accounts)~ that way, you can assign him a chat option more appropriate to his age, while still allowing him to chat freely with you only.

I hope this helps, and that you give the game another chance.

Laura S.
"von"

Laura Shadowsong, 90 balance
Valerian Deathwhisper, 90 death
Sestiva Stormblade, 80 storm
Tavia Summershield, 62 life
Patrick Dreamstalker, 40 myth
Tara Winterbloom, 40 ice
Angela Nightflame, 23 fire

& the rest.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
ravenhecate wrote:
You make a very good point. However, I think the original poster was talking about a situation where one is diluged with non-stop messages for help, most of them demands. I myself have been on the receiving end of that sort of flood, making it difficult to concentrate on one's game. There have been times where I have tried to stop and explain to someone who is constantly demanding my attention why I may not be quick to answer a rude request and most of the time it went in one ear and out the other. Basically if I were to do that with every one I got, I would spend half my gaming time helping other players do their quests, and the other half giving lectures on politeness.
I play on Hidden most of the time because of this.

If you are helpful, some people will naturally take advantage of this. You need to set boundaries for yourself and others, and let your actions speak for you.

Rather than giving lectures on politeness, just remove + ignore. Lecturing them or arguing with them will just waste your time and create drama.

A lot of players want to add me after I help someone in a battle. I usually decline, not to be rude, but so that I have room in my friends list for people who are actually my friends. Who are these? These are mature players who will occasionally ask you if YOU need help, not just ask you to help THEM. They also make small chitchat and socialize outside of the immediate needs of battle. And they're not rude to other players!

That's a big no-no. If you want to have friends, you have to be a friend. Saying bad things to and about younger players, menu chatters, etc. just on principle is really rude. I know a menu chatter who is leveling his death through the final stages of AZ - he is amazing - so don't dismiss them all as dumb or childish.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
I have ran into more rude than nice people, which is sad

I will tell you a story that is useful when it comes to rude players who can't be reported.

I was helping a good friend of mine, of the life school, who was a pretty high level. Than another friend of his came to help. Than a friend of the friend who just came teleported. He wasn't exactly very friendly, and was a low level. My life friend cast a spell, and the non friendly one started making fun of the life school, and how it was weak, than he started bragging about his own school. My friend got mad and was defending life school. The mean person started saying more bad things about life and how it was very weak. Then I started defending my friend, by saying "all schools are equal" The mean person just ignored me, and said when we finished battle "oh by the way, life is trash :)" and left. Before he left I clicked the ignore button, in case I ever ran into him again. What made my friend sad was the mean person could not be reported becasue he didn't break any rules. I told him that we will know if he ever gets banned, becasue if he does, he will be taken off my ignore list. That comforted my friend, knowing that we will know if he ever does get banned for breaking rules in the future.

If you meet a person who you can't report, ignore them so you will know if they ever do actually get banned. Its a comforting thought