Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disappointment in Rude Players

AuthorMessage
Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the category of a reportable offense:

“S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2 wrongs don’t make a right)

“Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of the non-porting option)

“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

“Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

“Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

“Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound statement. Refer to “Being Rude”).

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Survivor
Feb 27, 2010
I was once in the shopping district. I just avoided a scam. This person said I could get somewhere he was if I gave him cards. I said no i won't. I got back there by myself and he hid and said welcome. I said what. He then reported me and called me a noob. Then his buddy came and called me a noob too. I have an adept character. He had a magus character. His buddy had a master character. Finally they left. I was mad for the rest of the day. The nerve of those two. Has this happened to you?

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
Sorry you had that experience! Most folks on W101 are very cool. Don't let the dorks get you down. In general, you may want to switch to a "perfect" realm to avoid the masses. And if you run into a character who is annoying, switch to another realm so you won't run into them again. Don't worry about them reporting you. The mods will see that you did nothing wrong.

So ignore the dorks and go enjoy the game!

Survivor
Feb 27, 2010
I was in the shopping district once. These Magus players reported me for no reason. Then they called me a noob. They started picking on me right away. I finally got them to leave me alone. I was mad for the rest of the day. What will happened to those players? Has anything like this happened to you before?

There's a very useful tool in your Friends Panel, it's the IGNORE button. Select a Wizard in the world, or their name in the chat window. The Friends Panel will appear, and you can click IGNORE.

When you report someone, or you are reported, a message is sent directly to Mr Lincoln that includes the chat logs of everything that was said before and after that report.

Mr Lincoln then reads the log and assess the situation. He determines how bad the offense was, looks up prior offenses for the reported individual, and based on that assessment he issues sanctions such as muting or banning and sends an email to the offending account explaining the violation and the sanctions.

If the report was falsely made, that is determined as well, and the player who made the false report is investigated as to whether or not they have made previous false reports. False reports are just a egregious as valid ones, and similar sanctions can be levied against repeat offenders of false reporting.

Everything that a player enters into the chat window is logged. These larger chat logs are also routinely checked for those infractions that are not reported.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Well, I got reported for doing that thing were you can look like your pet for about 5 minutes till it wares(sp) off. I don't blame the guy either, he was a new guy.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
This complaint shows up here two or three times a week.

If somebody lies to you in order to get you to give them treasure cards, that's scamming. You should report them. The chat log will be forwarded to Support, who will take the appropriate action.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
colagada wrote:
This complaint shows up here two or three times a week.

If somebody lies to you in order to get you to give them treasure cards, that's scamming. You should report them. The chat log will be forwarded to Support, who will take the appropriate action.

Incorrect

Caveat Emptor, young Wizard - A Cautionary Tale

Just as we have all been instructed not to take candy from strangers, so should you know not to accept gifts from strangers. If you don't recognize the person who sent you the gift, don't accept it.

Since Gifting has come to the Spiral, I thought this might also be a good opportunity to remind our young Wizards to be wary of players promising gifts of mounts or other goodies, in exchange for your Treasure Cards.

Be sensible young Wizards, and ask yourselves if this person is really going to give you an item worth $30 of real money just for a few free Treasure Cards - the answer is, no, they're not. They're going to take your Treasure Cards and disappear. It's not a very nice thing to do, but all trades must be agreed upon by both parties. If the trade sounds too good to be true, it probably is, so don't accept the trade.

Please remember, reporting someone for 'scamming' you out of Treasure Cards is not valid, since you both had to agree to the trade. If what you see in the Trade window is not fair, regardless of what the player told you, don't agree to the trade, simple as that. Caveat emptor is a very powerful lesson to learn, young Wizards. Buyer Beware.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2010
Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
addisoncrawford wrote:
Sorry you had that experience! Most folks on W101 are very cool. Don't let the dorks get you down. In general, you may want to switch to a "perfect" realm to avoid the masses. And if you run into a character who is annoying, switch to another realm so you won't run into them again. Don't worry about them reporting you. The mods will see that you did nothing wrong.

Are you talking about my Scamming forum???? :? :?

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
addisoncrawford wrote:

True, but not true. I once reported some dude for foul language. He got mad at me when he jumped in on one of my battles, and I used one of my traps I place there, and he wanted to use it for his spell.

It was my battle, and my trap in the first place! He then at the end of the battle that he joined, said I was a Dumb Cass NooB for useing my trap, that he wanted. I said it was my trap in the first place. He said I was still a NooB, so I reported him for foul language, and he lied to KI and just reported me that I cuss at him, when I didn't.

So I right a report on someone useing foul language towards me, when it is written that foul language is a reportable offence. But Reporting me, and lieing to KI is not? He clearly reported me just because I reported him.

So he cuss, and made a false report, that = 2 offences of a ban. How many offence does one need to actualy get a ban?

Survivor
Jul 12, 2010
Adherent
May 20, 2010
I don't agree, and it's enough of a problem to me that I won't be renewing my subscription.

I also find it interesting that my other reply was deleted.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
It's been annoying me ever since it happened a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I'd get some other peoples' opinions. Here's the story:

I was playing Kensington Park with a someone who was waiting at Kensington Park. We get past Stoker when all of a sudden he says, "I need to go help my girlfriend with something else in the game." With I don't even know how much of Kensington Park left, I tried to reason with him, but he said since he "didn't know me" and he obviously knew his girlfriend he had to go, and then he left. We had gone in with 4 players (the other players left) so I couldn't call on anyone else, and my potions were all used up. Needless to say, I was defeated in the second fight after Stoker.

My questions are:

1. Am I justified in thinking that was just a tad rude?

2. What would you do if your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/fiancee/husband/wife/friend in real life asked you for help in the game, and you were already helping someone you don't know?

Defender
Feb 11, 2010
While being there for your group and sticking to complete things is a valued trait in all mmo games it's quite simple;

Always irl>game.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
It's been annoying me ever since it happened a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I'd get some other peoples' opinions. Here's the story:

I was playing Kensington Park with a someone who was waiting at Kensington Park. We get past Stoker when all of a sudden he says, "I need to go help my girlfriend." With I don't even know how much of Kensington Park left, I tried to reason with him, but he said since he "didn't know me" and he obviously knew his girlfriend he had to go, and then he left. We had gone in with 4 players so I couldn't call on anyone else, and my potions were all used up. Needless to say, I was defeated in the second fight after Stoker.

My questions are:

2. What would you do if your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/fiancee/husband/wife/friend in real life asked you for help, and you were already helping someone you don't know?

You know, I had to re-read this several times. Initially, I took it as the chap in question had to help his girlfriend with something in real life. In that case, I would be OK with it, even though it sounds as though he could have worded it better. However, reading it again, it sounds as if he took off to help her in the game. If that is the case, then yes, that's rude. Dungeons aren't like the rest of the game. If you enter with a group, regardless of whether or not you know them, you are taking up an available spot that could go to someone else and you are therefore leaving people in a lurch when you leave. I've gotten stuck in a dungeon with people I don't like, and in some cases, come to downright loathe by the end. However, I committed to it and so I shut my mouth, hunkered down, and got through it. In my mind, its kind of like a verbal contract. If I give my word, I stand by it.

I'd be interested to have clarification as to whether he left for real world issues, or for in-game assistance.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
I would have to agree with gtarhannon on this one. If it was IRL that his girlfriend needed his help, completely understandable. If it was in game however, I would at the very least. Try to add the person to my friends list so I could port back to continue as soon as I saved whoever. That is just common courtesy.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
I don't mean to sound brash or rude when I say this, but that is ONLINE gaming for ya. That is just how it works. And I suggest you get used to it, especially when it comes to games with the players being majority under the age of 15.

Survivor
Sep 27, 2008
Well IRL I understand... That being said... If you go into an area in the game with others and it is an instance, you dont just leave.... Your girlfriend, etc.. will have to wait.. Also if you are accidently pulled into a boss fight you do not leave, finish the fight, you just pulled in maybe one more monster then the other person needed.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
in MMOs you begin to really see how people really i am finding.
if they are rude to you in game then if by some god forsaken reason you should meet them in RL then be ready for it then too.
if they run off from you in a dungeon the delete them or put them on ignore.
dont bother with them and go find new friends
best thing to do is make friends in the schools you know will compliment your wizards schooling and usually you do ok because they need the same thing you do and get them near the same point in the level you are at. that helps alot.
or you do like i do and learn how to solo tho it makes for some hard battles.

people are people dont let the rude ones put you in a tizzy

forget them and go find better friends

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

I was playing Kensington Park with a someone who was waiting at Kensington Park. We get past Stoker when all of a sudden he says, "I need to go help my girlfriend with something else in the game." With I don't even know how much of Kensington Park left, I tried to reason with him, but he said since he "didn't know me" and he obviously knew his girlfriend he had to go, and then he left. We had gone in with 4 players (the other players left) so I couldn't call on anyone else, and my potions were all used up. Needless to say, I was defeated in the second fight after Stoker.

My questions are:

2. What would you do if your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/fiancee/husband/wife/friend in real life asked you for help in the game, and you were already helping someone you don't know?

OK I am a dinosaur here.

That was just plain rude. I don't care that you were a "stranger". The person in question started a dungeon with you and should have finished it. I have had good friends in game need help when I am in dungeon. I say "Sorry, I am in a dungeon.". I feel once you start something you stay until the end. Real life emergencies are different.

Megan

Survivor
Apr 11, 2011
I think the ignor button is pretty-cool but I would rather see a "Leprosy" button. If you run across a player that really needs to be monitored we could cast a "leprosy spell" on them - which really does nothing UNLESS many players are doing the same thing! Eventually, a moderator would complete the accumulation of leprosy-spells cast and inflict the player with leprosy (nasty, dingy clothing... mute for an hour (just one hour) of play time, not clock time... lock-out their friends list... it could progress as they continue to receive the spell from other players.)...

just a thought :)

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
DazWolfHaven wrote:
I think the ignor button is pretty-cool but I would rather see a "Leprosy" button. If you run across a player that really needs to be monitored we could cast a "leprosy spell" on them - which really does nothing UNLESS many players are doing the same thing! Eventually, a moderator would complete the accumulation of leprosy-spells cast and inflict the player with leprosy (nasty, dingy clothing... mute for an hour (just one hour) of play time, not clock time... lock-out their friends list... it could progress as they continue to receive the spell from other players.)...

just a thought :)

Leprosy is a disease fatal to some. I would be mortified if KI added this, I'd leave and never come back, nonetheless tell people NOT to play Wizard101.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
To continue my old post;

Wizard101 should not have fatal diseases in it. Anyways, we wouldn't need this.