Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

marleybone isn't fun

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 20, 2009
Can't speak for anyone else, but I am finding MB to be very frusterating. Fighting 3 enemies by yourself is almost impossible. Fizzles - I swear I have a 50% fizzle rate. Lost one battle with 6 fizzled attack spells. Another battle I was dead before I even had an attack. What fun is that when you lose every other battle? I am tempted to say screw it and create a new character and start from scratch. At least it was fun.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
You shouldn't be fighting three by yourself. The only places I can remember are Counterweights and Big Ben that you have to fight 3 instead of the normal 2.

To reduce the effect of fizzles:
1) Blade
2a) Trap
2b) If no power pip appears, hit them with a non-school wand spell.
3a) 4-pip school spell (more than enough for a street fight when boosted)
3b) if necessary due to initial fizzle, cast another 4-pip spell.
4) if not Death school, cast a 2-pip heal.
5) repeat 1-3
done!

Bosses require a bigger deck, but it did sound as if you were talking about the normal street thugs. By using the 100% boosters, you can limit the effect of fizzles to only one spell per enemy, and even storm can get two spells out of four (~97% chance if my math is right)

(PS-Add prisms, sigh, if of your school. Remove wand if you wish)

Deck: 4x (4-pip spell), 3x (0-pip trap spell), 3x (0-pip sword), 2x (2-pip heal), 5-6x (0-pip wand)
Deck total is 17 spells...in you initial 7-card hand you should have the blades/traps you need. (SNAFU: pull cards from sideboard)

Survivor
Apr 16, 2009
wow same here dude i will have to say i hate MB . and i just snaped my cp in hafe geting so mad so ha to wste my money and buy a new on and now i havent gone to MB again i am stuck behind it.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2009
shadowfax2009 wrote:
Can't speak for anyone else, but I am finding MB to be very frusterating. Fighting 3 enemies by yourself is almost impossible. Fizzles - I swear I have a 50% fizzle rate. Lost one battle with 6 fizzled attack spells. Another battle I was dead before I even had an attack. What fun is that when you lose every other battle? I am tempted to say screw it and create a new character and start from scratch. At least it was fun.

Yeah I know how you feel!!! I was sooo annoyed with all the battling, it took sooo long, and i kept fizzling so it took even longer than its supposed to! I think Moo Shu is much easier!
Keira Stormrider ~level 38 Theurgist~

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
I don't like it either. Seems to be a whole lot of the same thing over and over and over again. Also, for those of us who play at weird times, it would be nice to have the ending quests (katz lab/counterweights/big ben) not be near impossible solo. If they are going to be near impossible, at least have a way to progress to Mooshu without having to complete them. Kinda sucks.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2009
i play at weird times to you just have to be on more with friends. another thing different with mb is the ( walk down the middle of the walkway ) thing, KI tries new things in the game. in wiard city there were 1v1 matches only except for bosses. things change for different worlds there will never be a perfect one with no problems so. just. keep having fun with it wether hard or easy or hasy! aka normal just love the game and keep playing :-)

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
Question: How long have you been working Marleybone? It gets easier as you level up several times. If you complete the main task line in order and do the side tasks as you go you should be okay.

Remember that one instance level (on the left when you enter the station) you do NOT have to do to go on...you can go back and do it when you are stronger.

The trick is learning to run the rooftops. You can complete Marleybone quickly once you learn to stay out of the street fights. I can say this cause I have run a bunch of wizards through.

Good luck!

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Marleybone is not that difficult, it's actually a lot of fun once you master walking on the rooftops. Just always take a few friends to bail you out when you get pulled and also make sure you are always equipped with plenty of potions, because you really don't have time to stop and pick them up. Have fun! -Magus Necromancer Lvl. 32

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
i agree marleybone isn't fun just because its to long. although i have beaten it does get easy depends what level you are on. im stuck in ds

Luke skywalker
level 46

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
I too am sick of Marlebone. Katz lab quest is treating me like sunken city did. Fight ends and starts before even solid, dragged into fights from other side of roof, lose quest arrow, etc. I try to hitch rides to Moo Shu and do quests there. It is pretty and so very much easier than marleybone. And the point is to have fun right? Marleybone has gone on forever.
Right now my character is stuck apparently forever in Marleybone.

Robert Fireshade
level 38 Pyromancer

Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
I used to hate Marleybone because it was long and quite hard, but I have to say it was fun. Getting through the rooftops actually took a fair amount of logic and the bosses were fun to battle. If you have trouble with Marleybone, just get some friends, it will be easy then.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
shadowfax2009 wrote:

Wow, your gonna hate Dragonspyre even more!

Explorer
Sep 09, 2009
Just some advice.

Stay in the middle.

Run behind the monsters as they move.

Stop in the top of the middle of ramps.

Observe patterns.

Mark as progress is made, port to commons to refill, port back.

And,

The best revenge is winning.

btw, did I mention I HATE GEARHEADS!

:-)

Survivor
Sep 17, 2009
Like I said in another post; I feel Marleybone is going to be a bottleneck for many players that just aren't as dedicated and have a much lower tolerance level.

Perhaps once they bring in new worlds, Krokotopia can branch out to a different choice besides Marleybone. As it is right now it is a very frustrating area. I've done it only to get through it and on to the game. But I cannot honestly say I enjoyed my time in Marleybone.

The designer of an area needs to ask himself "was the area fun". Were the quests fun, cool, and exciting? Do I look forward to playing in this zone/instance again?

If the answer is No to any of those questions, odds are the place is either too difficult, too frustrating, does not have a good risk vs. reward ratio, or is simply not fun. Marleybone in my opinion broke the steady and fun progression of the game from Wizard City unto Krokotopia. Marleybone feels like a right of passage instead of a fun area to game in.

Pity, given the gorgeous architecture, aesthetics, and haughty atmosphere of the place.

Survivor
Sep 13, 2009
baltior wrote:
i play at weird times to you just have to be on more with friends. another thing different with mb is the ( walk down the middle of the walkway ) thing, KI tries new things in the game. in wiard city there were 1v1 matches only except for bosses. things change for different worlds there will never be a perfect one with no problems so. just. keep having fun with it wether hard or easy or hasy! aka normal just love the game and keep playing :-)

I agree so far. I haven't been there long but I also play at odd hours and it is frustrating because I have no friends on at these times. I'm dreading bosses as I am having trouble defeating regular enemies. Lots of fizzles and an odd rooftop set up make it very frustrating. I'm trying to race through to get back to the enjoyment I was experiencing up to this point. Any tips to expedite this would be welcome. Graphics and structures are quite elegant though.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
I completely agree.

Though I have gotten to Agony Wrath or something like that with my friend Tyler.

Hes level 32, and we have gotten nearly beat on Pops O'Leary.

I'm waiting for him to sign in to Wizard101 so we can continue in our adventure to MooShu. I really don't care much for beating the quests, I just want to go buy exotic armor, pets, wands, and those little sword things I see people holding now and then. If I can buy them. :-P

Anyways yes Marleybone is hard, thats just how it works. We can't have all worlds like Wizard City, about 50% of W101's community would have beaten the game within 3-4 days. And you need to team up beyond Wizard City or you probably aren't going to make it.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
i know i try to get to a bosses tower i have about a battle that i don't have to do because there are no sidewalks

Survivor
Jul 30, 2009
I agree with marleybone not being fun. I find myself constantly teleporting to the commons just so i can leave my computer for a minute without worrying about an enemy coming up and attacking me. some of my friends are in moo shu, and i just teleport their to help them with their quests. I even do it for my friends is dragon spyre. At least ds has side walks where you know you wont be forced into a fight. whatev. I just gotta finish marleybone to get on with the game. Too bad marleybone is just stunning. I bought the marleybone estate & i love it. GORGEOUS!

Survivor
Jan 14, 2009
shadowfax2009 wrote:

Marleybone is the least fun to try, but once you finish it you get to mooshu and mooshu is really fun

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
I have 3 grandmasters and now working on my 4th wizard ;)

marleybone is harder this time you cant go down the middle as they draw you in, so you try the side, guess what, yep they get you there as well, I think to my self ok it must be the mount I am on so I put her away and try again............. might as well throw myself into every fight there is as I cant get by them, :x I have never liked this world but I am now thinking I might just give up, who needs more stress, this is a game and surposed to be fun, (I wished)
KI I will soon be saying goodbye, something changed and it has made the game no fun at all :-(

Survivor
Jul 30, 2009
tixwas wrote:
I have 3 grandmasters and now working on my 4th wizard ;)

marleybone is harder this time you cant go down the middle as they draw you in, so you try the side, guess what, yep they get you there as well, I think to my self ok it must be the mount I am on so I put her away and try again............. might as well throw myself into every fight there is as I cant get by them, :x I have never liked this world but I am now thinking I might just give up, who needs more stress, this is a game and surposed to be fun, (I wished)
KI I will soon be saying goodbye, something changed and it has made the game no fun at all :-(
No need to quit just because mb is so annoying. Once you get past it, the rest is fine. I just got in mooshu and love it. I know how irritating and annoying it is, even though it really is beatuiful in mb, but it does have some good parts... hmm... meowiarty is good... getting there isnt... hmmm... i really cant think of anything good... But still, just bc mb stinks you shouldnt quit.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
You know, if your a myth character then it would be good to pick that, like i heard, myth is for people that worked best by theirself, you know, that actually is true, and myth is more powerful then you think. i went up 5 levels with my myth yesterday and now i'm a level 24 myth, but i rather play my myth then my ice, my ice person is level 25. So for the best of it, get some myth spells. When you dont have some friends online you can just help yourself, just like every battle, i really do enjoy helping my self and summoning the hummongfrog every battle! Marleybone sounds hard although, and it is. Dont get angry though, get some of your friends to bring you in soe good dungeons and you'll get a nice boost ahead of the people around you.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
shadowfax2009 wrote:

it really depends on what school r u if your storm or myth u would most likely fizzle most of the time :! :twisted evil: no?

Defender
Jul 01, 2008
zeusthedog wrote:
I too am sick of Marlebone. Katz lab quest is treating me like sunken city did. Fight ends and starts before even solid, dragged into fights from other side of roof, lose quest arrow, etc. I try to hitch rides to Moo Shu and do quests there. It is pretty and so very much easier than marleybone. And the point is to have fun right? Marleybone has gone on forever.
Right now my character is stuck apparently forever in Marleybone.

Robert Fireshade
level 38 Pyromancer

I thought that was gonna happen to me...Though I managed 2 wizards (grand life and balance now) through Marleybone... Although MooShu is a treat after MB, you get so much XP with easy quests, you'll enjoy that.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
I love MB. I have a fire who is done and now death who is in MB and had fun with both. I actually hate Mooshu ... to bright and happy for my taste. Yes you can get caught in MB so ... run and don't ponder, run behind, and stay far... watch how characters walk - they all have patterns and once you get the pattern you can avoid them.