Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Best Defense, why so hard to solo

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
I have tried this quest solo 5x and no luck. It is the one where you fight M. Flamewing inside her tower with the 2 protection orbs. They cast shield spells so much that no matter the deck I set up I can't beat her. I get close every time usually with her having 500hp. I'm death, ice, life wizard. If anyone has suggestions it would be appreciated. I have been able to solo everything so far...

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
You mean the protection pox? I HATE those things It would be pretty hard to solo lol, unless your myth and have earthquake

Defender
Dec 23, 2008
Yeah, she is a booger. I think I finally punted on that one and called in a friend. Best advice, I suppose, is kill the Protection Orbs first. Don't pay any attention to what she's doing -- the Orbs gotta go. Once they're gone, she's pretty much a weakling. Concentrate on a single attack school -- Life, Death, Myth preferably -- so you can punch a hole in one of their shields.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2009
It was pretty easy as fire. Using the AE DoT and a Fire Elemental they didn't stand a chance :-).

Survivor
May 17, 2009
Completed it as a level 45 balance, I concentrated on attacking her, and ignoring the Pox, you need to load up on mana. Cause will will have to cast a lot of spells.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I defeated her solo with a life wizard and a death wizard, currently working on fire, myth, and balance wizard's but haven't gotten there yet. I concentrated on a single school of attack and took her out first, ignoring the pox. Once she is out, you can pick off the pox using the same strategy (one at a time). Since they don't attack and just shield themselves, this can be time consuming, but works. DOT spells are helpful also.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
Use really big spells with blades on the poxes first. With them gone, she does not put up as many shields and is fairly easy to kill. Be sure to have a lot of healing cards.

Survivor
Jul 17, 2009
Because the poxes are only there to shield, I suggest killing her before the poxes because once she is killed there will be no way fr you to lose the battle.
Good luck :-D

Survivor
May 21, 2008
Shadowulph wrote:
I have tried this quest solo 5x and no luck. It is the one where you fight M. Flamewing inside her tower with the 2 protection orbs. They cast shield spells so much that no matter the deck I set up I can't beat her. I get close every time usually with her having 500hp. I'm death, ice, life wizard. If anyone has suggestions it would be appreciated. I have been able to solo everything so far...

Use DOTs if you have them, helps a TON. I'm fire and pulling out my minion, who uses fire elf like there's no tomorrow, made this fight easy. Without DOTs, you should think about packing Reshuffle, or go get yourself some DOTs from the Bazaar.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
Shadowulph wrote:

I completed this solo; however, I'm a Myth character. I used "Earthquake" to eliminate the shields and attacked while their shields were gone. Attack Flamewing first and get her out of there so you are not being attacked. Once she is gone, the pox are easy.

Survivor
May 08, 2009
Shadowulph wrote:

Malorn Willosmith, Balance Wizard, Matsre of Balance, level 48, Secondary school:death

Worlds Completed: Wizard City, Krokotopia,Marleybone, Moo Shu, currently in Dragonspyre and Grizzleheim.

The best advice to give is this why fight her alone if you know she has protection pox by her side bring up to three friends and seriously I could rather fight pox than bosses they dont attack only shields, traps, blades so you guys better be happy they did not attack one bit. Dont get why you are so upset.

I am in Dragonspyre academy in the cyrstal grove almost about to fight malistare so cheer up! 8)

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
:?I have a deck of 55 and over 20 treasure card slots and my biggest problem with this quest is running out of cards! How big of a deck do you need?

Survivor
May 22, 2009
I think the thing is we run out of cards easier the bigger te deck. It's doesnt sound like that should be happening but you have to admit you throw out more cards looking for the ones you want with that bigger deck. As level 1 and 2 we ddnt need to throw anthing out because we got dealt our whole hand but now we eed to search for cards and doing tha wastes cards.

Survivor
Mar 27, 2009
She was difficult but not impossible with fire. Just attack her and worry about the pox later. You will want to use your elemental, and then spells that do damage over time. Then when the time damage spells have used up some of the shields go for a higher damage spell. So minion, shield and blade up, then use a damage over time spell, then follow up with a 4 or 5 pip damage spell. And repeat. If you are lucky your minion will help with some damage over time spells of its own. The key is to keep the number of double shield effects on your high damage spells to a minimum and accept the fact that you will likely loose 25-50% or more of each spell. But once she is done the pox dont attack so they are easy. I actually ran out of cards once and had to sit back and let my minion finish the pox.

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
because she has defence pox, which take forever to die cause of there non-stop shields. While at the same time you have the boss (who is storm) attcking you with strong spells like:
Stormzilla
Storm Shark
Kraken
Natural attack
Etc

So at the same time the defense pox are keeping her alive with shields.So get earthquake any way you can. when they get too many shields then strike with everything you got at the defense pox. When the defense pox are gone is should be easy going.
Note:make sure you have lots of pips before you use earthquake

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
I've soloed her on my death wizard, but I nearly decked out because I didn't know how the fight was managed at the time. Trick is the kill Flamewing asap, then summon a minion and use DOT spells on the poxes, if you have any. If you don't have any DOTs, and your minion is useless at attacking (i.e. one who only heals and/or taunts and shields) then you may want some friends for this one, or some reshuffles. First time I did this fight, I let my minion do the majority of the attacking on the poxes; you won't deck outthat way, since a minion's deck has no limit. I just supported it with blades, traps, and some attacks of my own.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I also found that if you use your prism just before you attack, after removing all your opposing school's shield's with a 0-pip wand (allows you to build up pips) allows the one spell kill.

Example Life: Spirit Blade, spirit trap, life blade, prism, death wand, death wand, feint, then Centaur.
Result: Death protection gone, Centaur fires, uses life blade and spirit blade's life blade, is changed to death, uses feint, spirit trap's death boost...for the kill. You should have a few pips at this time to cast the minion if you desire, or go into treasure for the stored DOT spells on the two pox.

I gave this example as life seems the toughest to run through and has a minion that doesn't really do much damage.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Ugh, i hate that darn quest! You have to take out the stupid pox(as i like to call them) first, they are the only reason this quest is hard in the first place. Me and my friends just went for it and shot spell after spell after spell, but there is no way getting around those shields. You pretty much just have to keep fighting the pox until they are eventually dead, then focus on the boss, but until those stupid pox are dead, ignore the boss completely.
Good luck!

P.S I would strongly reccommend help. This is VERY VERY hard to solo, i knew that too much that i didnt even try.

Survivor
Aug 08, 2009
can someone help me with this fight I am a Ice level 42 meet me at 1:00
In front of the tower. I have tried this about 7x.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
I fought her like 2 times and defeated her on the 3rd try. I had some help from another lvl 24 ice and we focused on Flamewing and ignored the poxes. Finally, after we defeated her, we aimed for the poxes. I wasted some crowns on hiring a lvl 50 myth henchmen (earthquake spell). Turns out that he didn't bother using earthquake at all. I cast a minion spell and all four of us were attacking the poxes.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
TalonTooPro wrote:
Because the poxes are only there to shield, I suggest killing her before the poxes because once she is killed there will be no way fr you to lose the battle.
Good luck :-D

I ran out of cards doing this. The point is that once the boss is dead, getting rid of the poxes is routine,but takes a VERY long time. Once again the game fails to see the difference between a challenge and a chore.

Just because something takes a long time, does not mean it is worth doing.

Proposed Solution: Protection Poxes should have the same limits on their decks as a typical dragonspyre deck - no more than 5 copies of any one card, and when they're out, they're out.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2008
To me, I was only level 38 myth and I killed her. It wasn't hard, just long.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2009
I somehow managed to kill her by using My frost giant a few times,with the very fassionable finish of my colosus using a few elemental traps, elemental blades, ice blades, Ice traps, a balefrost, two blizzards, a STRONG life friend, feint and of course, all my thanks to the EARTHQUAKE THAT WIPED OUT ALL SHIELDS THEY HAD!!!!!!!! MAN THEY HAD NO CHANCE FROM THE BEGINNING. Though it was revenge for her killing me off my first time I solo-ed this one. Point is, put your minion to use, grab a strong friend, and throw out a earthquake when she has a few shield cards on her. Kill the pox first since they are the main force of help. She's useless without them. Have some storm shields handy just in case, and have a great time!!!!!! I did

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
For me, what worked is to summon your minion then kill the boss girl (i forgot her name, its been a while since i have been there) and then use an earthquake every so often to get rid of the shields on the Defense Pocks and have your minion help you kill them. Thats what worked for me on my second time soloing it :-) oh and i am fire and myth so i know earthquake and my minion uses fire elf a lot.

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
I soloed Mavra on both my death and balance grands, but death was much harder. I basically had to wait until I was lucky - which means going first, having 2 power pips on the onset of the fight in which I used death blade, and then using wraith on a pox that hadn't put up tower or spirit shield on itself. With good enough damage bonus, it'll quickly take out a pip because death is strong to balance. Then it's mostly just a war of attrition vs. her and one pox.

Seems like fire and myth wouldn't have any trouble whatsoever against this fight, and it wasn't incredibly bad on my balance wizard, except the fact that the poxes resist balance, so I had to wait a little longer on judgment and pray that all tower shields were gone amongst the thousand little shields orbiting them.