Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why Does Everybody Hate Marlybone

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1354
I love Marleybone. It is the romance of Victorian London - and the mystique of Sherlock Holmes! With a bit of Dr. Who thrown in. What's not to love :p

Oh and for 'animal lovers' there are dogs and cats everywhere.

It is difficult, though. Hard to solo there. If you do not have a max friend or a high level friend, it will take you quite a while.

I think maybe by the time people finish with a hard level is when they start to 'hate' it. (If ever.)

I still have some dungeons to run in Marley. I am leaving those until I'm higher level.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
582
I love Marleybone, it's short and sweet.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1354
Patrick Ravenbane on Sep 18, 2016 wrote:
Marleybone is alright for what it is but I rather skip it if I have a choice. Me personally; I don't like the layout of walking on rooftops and fighting nearly the same creatures almost all the way through the world. 2# playing detective in Scotland Yard is not my idea of adventure; too much running around and the side quest: "The Policemen Ball" is pointless. Other than that, Marleybone is good to go and Royal Museum is the best.
About "the Policeman's Ball" if I recall correctly that's the one where you have to go back into The Ironworks and find 5 crates? But they are a certain type of crate, not the other 2 types of crate. :/

I googled it and figured out it's the super large crates (not the tall skinny ones marked fragile though as I saw on google; but the super large square crates.) I also have figured out by now that if I am feeling lazy I can just wait for it to respawn, so I did. I read the forums in the meantime :p

But it was a head scratcher to me because The Ironworks is a dungeon. So I had to go back into a dungeon just for crates, a while after already completing the dungeon?

Things like that happen in Wiz 101 sometimes. I'd rather the quests didn't do that. :p
Not a huge deal but kind of a "what?" moment.

Geographer
Feb 28, 2014
960
SparkleTude on Oct 25, 2016 wrote:
About "the Policeman's Ball" if I recall correctly that's the one where you have to go back into The Ironworks and find 5 crates? But they are a certain type of crate, not the other 2 types of crate. :/

I googled it and figured out it's the super large crates (not the tall skinny ones marked fragile though as I saw on google; but the super large square crates.) I also have figured out by now that if I am feeling lazy I can just wait for it to respawn, so I did. I read the forums in the meantime :p

But it was a head scratcher to me because The Ironworks is a dungeon. So I had to go back into a dungeon just for crates, a while after already completing the dungeon?

Things like that happen in Wiz 101 sometimes. I'd rather the quests didn't do that. :p
Not a huge deal but kind of a "what?" moment.
When I had that quest for the first time, I was confused too about what crates to get and wondered if I had to do Ironworks again. I realized I didn't because the crates are in the first part of the dungeon After doing that 3 part quest and all I did was running around in 3 areas, I asked myself why? What does "the Policeman's Ball" have anything to do with the reason why we are in Marlybone and for what purpose? I rather do a side quest in the means of rescuing someone or stop creatures and a boss from terrorizing a village or something.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2016
4
I don't hate Marleybone, but I DO hate the Barkingham Palace Main Hall area, fighting the Chief Whip and his minion. I mean, SERIOUSLY? Is that even REMOTELY winnable at the level it's (allegedly) designed for? The number of cheat spells the mobs cast for that is STUPIDLY high.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1354
Patrick Ravenbane on Oct 26, 2016 wrote:
When I had that quest for the first time, I was confused too about what crates to get and wondered if I had to do Ironworks again. I realized I didn't because the crates are in the first part of the dungeon After doing that 3 part quest and all I did was running around in 3 areas, I asked myself why? What does "the Policeman's Ball" have anything to do with the reason why we are in Marlybone and for what purpose? I rather do a side quest in the means of rescuing someone or stop creatures and a boss from terrorizing a village or something.
I agree totally.

There is also a case in Kroko (when it's in the second part of Kroko, with the ice enemies. I'm not good at remembering what things are called), in which we have to do a dungeon to defeat 3 Guardians and the last is the Keeper of something or other.

That's finished, then I accept a side quest from (if I recall correctly) the librarian at the Kroko oasis? And it requires us to do that same Guardians dungeon all over again.


My opinion is why not combine those 2 quests in some way. I've done this 2-3 times now and it doesn't overlap at all; one quest is not triggered until the first has been completed.

Geographer
Feb 28, 2014
960
SparkleTude on Oct 27, 2016 wrote:
I agree totally.

There is also a case in Kroko (when it's in the second part of Kroko, with the ice enemies. I'm not good at remembering what things are called), in which we have to do a dungeon to defeat 3 Guardians and the last is the Keeper of something or other.

That's finished, then I accept a side quest from (if I recall correctly) the librarian at the Kroko oasis? And it requires us to do that same Guardians dungeon all over again.


My opinion is why not combine those 2 quests in some way. I've done this 2-3 times now and it doesn't overlap at all; one quest is not triggered until the first has been completed.
I remember that dungeon, "The vault of ice". That one was a pain. The second time was just for a rubbing and 3rd time was to get sand from the 3 fangs. I feel the last 2 times was a joke and time consuming. At least we do battles and get drops in there which is better than "The Policeman Ball" lol

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1354
Patrick: True, Lol.
And in one case, while I was waiting around for people to team up so I could finish Kroko (Krokopatra), it gave me something to do. I had to wait even more the next day so I wound up doing all sorts of Kroko side quests while waiting.

I get impatient, I guess. But yeah at least the Vault of Ice (thanks for the name!) had drops. Going back to the Iron Works dungeon just for crates was kind of a head-scratcher.

Explorer
Dec 12, 2012
91
KOblivion on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
Because this world is touchy and lots of people end up fighting 300 more duels than they intend to. I thought the music was depressing after my 2nd wizard, maybe thats just me. Mobs cast tower shield and weakness like its fun ( if your a slow killer or you have bad luck)

Eric Legendtamer (90Done!)(76Avalon)(76Avalon)(50Celestia)
(30Mooshu)(30Mooshu)(20Krok)(1Arena)
You're lying- you know. You can't have 8 wizards

Geographer
Feb 28, 2014
960
Katie LifeSword on Nov 27, 2016 wrote:
You're lying- you know. You can't have 8 wizards
Maybe he has 2 accounts

Survivor
Nov 09, 2016
1
I didn't get sucked into one battle while I was in Marleybone with my 49 . Marleybone is my least favorite world and I hate it with a passion. The context behind most of the quests is really dumb, the music is trash, the world is gloomy and dark, and it's just overall a really boring world.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2013
23
Survivor
Nov 10, 2013
14
I LOVE LOVE LOVE marley bone heck in pirate my fave world in p101 is mb and by first bundle from ki at all was mb one for p101

Adam

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
259
Yes it's dark and gloomy, but the reason I don't like it in one word is Roofs. They are boring looking and pretty much every roof area looks the same. Yes, there are many areas and hallways that look much the same in other parts of the spiral, but in Krock, there's art and the colors are different. If they at least had different chimneys in Hyde park vs. Chelsea, or different color roofs it would help, or a difference in the architecture, one area older and more Gothic, one more Regency, metal roof flooring for one area, shingles or tile in another. It needs SOMETHING to break up the terrible sameness of it all! I liked the Ironworks with it's wooden walls, puzzles and warehouse, it looked different. The non roof areas of Marleybone I liked very much. In Pirate, I loved what they did with other areas of Marleybone, and found the sewers more interesting than MB roofs.

Survivor
May 11, 2010
13
Marylebone is one of my favorite places. The one I hate is Krokotopia.

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
40
Grizzleheim is where people get pulled into duels the most. I personally love Marleybone in both Pirate and Wizard.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2016
1
I personally like Marleybone in Wizard101 and Pirate101.
I found it easy to dodge unwanted battles.
I agree with Balance Wizard about Grizzleheim.

Explorer
Apr 06, 2013
55
Marlybone is not my favorite world, but it is up there! I love the battle music, so battles weren't so bad there. Sidewalks were challenging, but the sidewalks in Krok were slim! My least favorite parts of MB have to be the scenery, and the characters. I love the story, but the roofs seemed out of place to me. And why would there be homes of ladies on there?! It does not make sense. My favorite characters were the police guys, the mime dude, and Meowiarty, especialy the parts where we see him with Malistaire!

Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
81
I don't know why you think everyone hates it. I love it, and everyone I talk to does too. Some people may dislike it because it is more challenging, but I like that, I don't think it's hard in a bad way, but in a "you need to think" way.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2012
2
Because there is no sidewalk. You can't get anywhere without running into something and picking a fight

Survivor
Jan 06, 2013
16
The only thing I dislike about Marlybone is the roads. When I got crowns, (I didn't use member at first) to buy Marlybone, I ALWAYS got stuck. I'm now helping my friend in it, but she again, ALWAYS get stuck.
But I get it. I liked Marlybone too. It was short and I love music. But I think the roads are the only reason people hate Marlybone. ROADS. ROADS. ROADS!!!!
Abigail SkyGemMAIN (LVL 117)
Blaze IceGem (Yes, I have boy and girl wizards) commander (LVL 10)
Brianna FairyGlen IN CELESTIA FINALLY FINISHED DS (LVL 52)
Jennifer ShadowHunter best dancer of all characters (Mine) (LVL 12)


First wizard, always main

Explorer
Jan 22, 2014
79
I didn't hate Marleybone it just annoyed me. I tend to run around too fast and risk running across the road and then accidently get pulled and each time I was pulled I got mad and fled unless it was in a dungeon. Another thing that made me dislike Marleybone is the number of dungeons there are and they are long dungeons too. Otherwise I like Marleybone and I think its great

~Natalie lvl 32

Survivor
Apr 05, 2015
37
To me, Marleybone is probably the worst world or atleast one of them, I don't know why but it just seems to annoy me even though I didn't get pulled into battles a lot but I found it boring and remember that's just my opinion!

Kane, Level 97 Promethean Necromancer

Currently questing in Khrysalis

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
172
I kinda liked it, I wouldn't call it my favorite world, though. It feels incredibly boring after you've been there for a few hours, and it's really easy to get pulled into battles. It feels a little too long, and it has some hard bosses and dungeons, a bit too hard for the levels you're there (around 30-ish).

Survivor
Jan 18, 2016
25
I don't really hate it, but i don't really like it either.
At first, I was like, "Yeah! Marleybone is cool!" But the quests got tedious. The storyline was okay, but it wasn't really memorable.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the setting and music. But the content in Marleybone got boring really fast. Especially, the last dungeon was pretty much Golem Court but Marleybone version. As well as the last 2 dungeons before that dungeon.
I only got pulled into random duels twice, so no, please stop assuming that people hate it just because of that. (I don't hate it anyway, it's just an OK-world in my book.) I'm glad to be on Mooshu, now -- definitely a difference from the gloomy rooftops of Marleybone