Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

marleybone needs sidewalks!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
Gamma wrote:
The answer to this is simple, young Wizards.

The adventure areas of Marleybone take place on the rooftops of the buildings.
There are no sidewalks on rooftops.
When you are on a rooftop, the safest area is NOT the outer edges, but the middle.
ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE! from lvl 50 myth eric legend hunter

Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
Marleybone not having sidewalks is the exact reason why I liked it.

Kingsisle, please dont change Marleybone to give it sidewalks. Even better, you should add more worlds like this one. (At least a few areas with no sidewalks, please?)

Survivor
May 06, 2009
I 100% Agree. Whenever I'm In Hyde Park, I always get stuck in Battles!!! :)

Survivor
Sep 17, 2009
The problem with Marleybone isn't so much the lack of sidewalks or the challenge of navigating it.

It is the aggro radius of the mobs particularly the clockworks. I've been pulled in as far across as the other side of the roof by the running clockworks. I do not use pets or anything like that.

None of the other mobs give any issues. It's a matter of avoiding them and timing their movement. The clockworks just have a large aggrevation radius.

Regardless; there is a point where Fun turns into Frustration. For a game designer, that is something to avoid. Marleybone currently is frustrating for a lot more people than fun for a few.

Why the element of Frustration? Is it some form of "right of passage"? Like the other poster stated; I too have wanted to cancel my subscription out of pure frustration. That and a few other things that bug me about the game.

Several of the mobs in Marleybone have as much if not more hitpoints than the bosses found in some of the Marleybone missions. Battles last just as long and are often times deadlier. I've found myself on a few battles against clockworks that went worse than a dissimilar battle against a Boss. Keep in mind some bosses have over 1000 hitpoints.

Large aggro radius, no true safe passage, battles lasting as long if not longer than Boss battles, no Mana wisps, large distances between quest points, and Marleybone soon turns a fun game into a frustrating game. Added to that, several of the missions have you go back to the same locations at least three to four times. You'll be returning to some locations at least three times do to quests opening up that send you back there (not including the main quest).

Someone like me coming from an Everquest 1, Lineage 2, and WoW, background that would put up with this can stick it out. Someone like my young brother who has difficulties when confronted with such challenges would soon quit out of frustration.

Such difficult layouts such as the rooftops of Marleybone should have been relegated to group dungeons as side quests and not part of the main progression series of quests.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2009
WizardPower100 wrote:
carterma wrote:
there are no sidewalks in marleybone because it happens on rooftops. When's the last time you saw sidewalks on roofs? Just learn how to navigate around the monsters. Take your time, watch their movement patterns. Will you get sucked into unwanted battles sometimes? Yes, that's part of the game.
I agree. You never see sidewalks on rooftops. I get stuck in battle with cats and mouses sometimes, so get used to it.

im not in MB yet but it sounds really annoying. I cant wait to get to MB

Survivor
May 26, 2009
i usually just stick behind an enemy and just tip toe right with them to my destination and that seems to work real well, and also if i ever do get caught in a battle and have low health/mana i make sure i have all my potions filled, usually you have just enough time to use a potion if your being to get stuck in a battle

also, a little tip if you know you will be going back to the place in the near future and have extra mana, mark the location, it saves loads of time on doing quests

Survivor
May 25, 2009
I go on the exact end next to the invisible wall and when an enemy comes by stay still they are like a dinosaur they can't see you and when at the ramp wait next to it enemy passes nothing I have not unlocked there yet and I can get through. (I'm close( I warped to buddy))

Survivor
Jan 14, 2009
peachtheferret wrote:
hi, destiny here. i was wondering: why is MB the only place without sidewalks? WC, DS, krok, and even mooshu have sidewalks, but in marleybone you have to deftly dodge rats cats and gearheads while making your way to a boss fight! WHY? you could at least put a bunch of wooden planks on the side!

marleybone is really frustrating so the best thing to do would get friends to come with you in a dungeon so if you get caught just flee, go back in dungeon, then port to your friend. Thats what i did and it worked ot really good

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
Please don't change Marleybone. Looking back, I'm grateful for the rooftop challenges. Yes, it was frustrating at first, but it forced me to pay more attention to wandering creatures and learn how to avoid them. It's like learning to stop and look both ways before crossing the street in real life.

Without dodging around Marleybone's rooftops I never would have made it through the wide-open areas in later adventures. (Grizzleheim comes to mind, and Mooshu's Cave of Solitude.)

- Sierra Starsong, Grandmaster Thaumaturge

Survivor
May 15, 2009
DPVSaint wrote:
Otys wrote:
im not in marleybone yet, but i don't want to go because my riend took me to do katzenstein with him... man oh man do you have any idea how annoying those clockwerk things are??? They run so fast!!! they even run faster than players.... how is that possible?!

MB needs sidewalkes or planks. i don't know, anything that doesn't attract enemies. its funny, i hated krokotopia, but now im making the best of it because i can actually get through.

although don't always trust sidewalks. for example, the sidewalks in sunken city don't work.

Yeah that's annoying. I went to Chelsea Court to search the Clockwork Tower and I saw the Clockworks running. I decided to run when they were on the opposite side of where I am. So I ran and they caught me in battle.
When Trying to get around Gearheads, you have to follow them. Be careful on corners, though, sometimes they make really sudden turns Good Luck Cassandra Icemancer, Ice, lvl 33 about to do Big ben Cya around :-) :-) :D :D

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
When walking throught Katzenstein:
Pay attention to the monsters every moves, that will help you form a way to get past them, if an enemy is toward the right, follow it but stay a distance, as soon as it moves to left, run to the next platform.
Don't go on the sides! YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO GET INTO A BATTLE IF YOU ARE ON THE SIDE LIKE YOU ARE IN OTHER WORLDS.
Thanks for listening, take notice of this, it'll work! :? :D :-) :)

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
WizardPower100 wrote:
carterma wrote:
there are no sidewalks in marleybone because it happens on rooftops. When's the last time you saw sidewalks on roofs? Just learn how to navigate around the monsters. Take your time, watch their movement patterns. Will you get sucked into unwanted battles sometimes? Yes, that's part of the game.
I agree. You never see sidewalks on rooftops. I get stuck in battle with cats and mouses sometimes, so get used to it.

Uh... not wise. You can't really make it go smooth all the time. We know its rooftops. So why don't they put some wide planks or an iron fence to walk along like they do to keep people from falling on 10 story building in NYC!!! There, think about it. I get sucked into battles to and some people get
x-tra frustrated believe me, my friend Lindsey Roseriver is like, so sensitive to those monsters.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Is it just me or has the path the mobs take changed since the update last week??? They used to walk on the sides. Now all of a sudden they are walking on the sides of the middle. You can't walk up the middle anymore and walking up the sides isn't much better. Almost impossible to avoid them now.

It was perfect the way it was. Why change it now KI?

-------------------------------------------------------
Kimberly Misthaven - Level 46 Life
Kelsey Battlestalker - Level 31 Balance
Abigail Fireblossom - Level 19 Fire

Earn Crowns! Subscribe using my friend code:
http://www.wizard101.com/friend/80851-12125-01664-46030

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
its not just you blackrose, its now impossible to do they get you from every angle :(

its stupid

Explorer
Feb 11, 2009
Marleybone is not as difficult to navigate as it seems if you use a bit of patience and watch the movements other the mob. Also htey have shifted the mobs in a bit so in most places you can use the edges like a sidwalk, sort of. Personally I liked it before the change. WHat I dodnt like was the monotony of it all. Every section basically looked identical. THe nav is easy.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Resetti123 wrote:
I agree all the way! I'm almost done with MB, and I only have the Counterweights and Big Ben left.. But if you're on Katz, then congrats! You're almost done with MB.

SERIOUSLY?! I'M ALMOST DONE???? YAY!! i'm in Katzeinstein or whatever!! yeahh!! i'm going to mooshu!!! after i do a lot of quests of course. MB IS SO HARD

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
I TOTALLY AGREE!! it DOES need sidewalks!!! or like it needs a sidewalk in the middle and then the clockworks and rats and cats or whatever can run next to the middle. or i wish that if you had the mounts you couldn't be dragged into battles. THAT would be awesome. idc if i dont have crowns yet, but if that was a rule, i'd buy it myself!!

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
Rapsca11ion wrote:

I am consistently getting stuck in a repetition of pointless battles over and over again in Marleybone. I am getting out of here as soon as I can, the lack of sidewalks on this level has almost led me to cancel my account and leave the game.

This is an excellent example of bad coding, for an hour I was stuck fighting the Feline Scatchers for no quest or reward. An hour and a half to go 20 feet in the game to a tower to enter a dungeon to start the quest.

Whoever designed this level should go through the game at least once to encounter these errors and experience the frustration that is part of Marleybone.

For now i am only to Sherlock Bones to get to Mooshu which I hope is better.

me too but i beat the place i was up to and now im pretty used to it
p.s i still hate it

digby frost lvl 31 storm

Survivor
Mar 03, 2009
Otys wrote:
im not in marleybone yet, but i don't want to go because my riend took me to do katzenstein with him... man oh man do you have any idea how annoying those clockwerk things are??? They run so fast!!! they even run faster than players.... how is that possible?!

MB needs sidewalkes or planks. i don't know, anything that doesn't attract enemies. its funny, i hated krokotopia, but now im making the best of it because i can actually get through.

although don't always trust sidewalks. for example, the sidewalks in sunken city don't work.

i'm also in KT. and i've defeated , idk, about 8 dungeons by myself. But i still have the sunken city quest. i almost finished it with my friend then we both died. its like every five seconds you get into a battle. and what is it with THREE enimies per battle. even KT doesn't have three enimies per battle per person. whats up with the person who designed it!

Survivor
Aug 13, 2009
I totally agree.
p.s. as long as you arent in a dungeon just log out and log back on. this may take a few min but you get out of your battle

Survivor
Oct 29, 2008
MB would be WAY too easy if it didnt have sidewalks. I LOVE MB even without sidealks.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
curlyboy66 wrote:
MB would be WAY too easy if it didnt have sidewalks. I LOVE MB even without sidealks.
really well i won't think any body likes mb

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
I'm in agreement with the dis-likers. It just gets tedious after a while. There are two kinds of hard - challenges and chores. Marleybone, for the most part, is a chore.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
Nicholas MythCaster here.This is true I always get into battles and end up Fleeing.I wonder why MB is full of so many enemys.This is Jank almost>? :?

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
FOR REAL!!!!! marleybone does need sidewalks i mean come on! everytime i walk through the roof tops BAM!!! the arena pops up and i am trapped in a battle and there is a 20% chance i survive that battle. When i was done with marleybone i had a BIG celebration party. :D