Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Doctor Who reference in Marleybone????

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 05, 2010
Hi, while doing a quest in Marleybone, I noticed a character named the professor with a telegraph box. I'm not sure whether this is true or not, but i feel like they used the idea from the sci-fi show "Doctor Who" but instead of the Doctor and his Tartus (a police box), they had the Professor and the Telegraph (which is close to a police box). Please reply and say if you agree or disagree with this guess
from,
anarose2716 (lvl.35)

Defender
Oct 04, 2010
Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I totally agree!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
AnaRoseGem on Apr 26, 2014 wrote:
Hi, while doing a quest in Marleybone, I noticed a character named the professor with a telegraph box. I'm not sure whether this is true or not, but i feel like they used the idea from the sci-fi show "Doctor Who" but instead of the Doctor and his Tartus (a police box), they had the Professor and the Telegraph (which is close to a police box). Please reply and say if you agree or disagree with this guess
from,
anarose2716 (lvl.35)
Yes, everyone agrees. He's been there since the addition of Zafaria.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
I believe I read somewhere he's a part of a side quest.
Still love the reference!
~ Festus
Gabrielle Dream Tail Level 40

"Some days, life can be like the best party ever. Others, it can seem like everything is upside down, and will never get better."

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
AND If you notice, the professor is wearing a scarf, a bow tie, a trench coat, and converse. Now, if you go look up fourth doctor, you'll see the scarf. The Tenth doctor is the converse and trench coat, and the eleventh is the bow tie.

You thought we'd never notice, didn't you KingsIsle?

Well played...

(Also, I'm glad I\'m not the only one who noticed this as well :3.

And if there is a side quest involving him, his voice actor should be David Tennant and he should say "Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey at least once.)

Megan Emerald Blade

Level 49 Sorceress

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
AnaRoseGem on Apr 26, 2014 wrote:
from,
anarose2716 (lvl.35)
AnaRoseGem,

You make an awesome and noticeable point-out and reference. KI did use the Doctor to create this "Professor" character, but because of copyright reasons most likely, they tweaked the Doctor a bit.

The Professor is part of a side-quest in which is "trans-dimensional" telegraph box has broken down and he needs you to retrieve his Cosmic Caliper.

Also, as additional evidence, the note on his telegraph box reads:
Telegraph Box
Knowing before
opening
being before
seeing.
Not for public use.
WARNING: Smaller
on the inside.

As with the others, glad I'm not the only one who noticed...

~Miranda Thunder Gem
"I've never been ginger! And you, Rose Tyler, fat lot of good you were, you gave up on me! Ooh, that's rude. Is that all I am now? Rude? Rude and NOT GINGER?!" ~Tenth Doctor, David Tennant

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
Yes!!!!!!! Finally someone notices! I am a Doctor Who fan and I saw that red police box and I was like, "What is that!? It's the Tardis!"
And instead of The Doctor it was The Professor...weird.
King's Isle, this is great, but aren't you worried about getting sued by BBC or something

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Dragoncloud888 on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
Yes!!!!!!! Finally someone notices! I am a Doctor Who fan and I saw that red police box and I was like, "What is that!? It's the Tardis!"
And instead of The Doctor it was The Professor...weird.
King's Isle, this is great, but aren't you worried about getting sued by BBC or something
Considering the whole world of Avalon is littered with Monty Python referrences I really don't think they are worried. There's nothing to get sued over anyways. Parody is a protected artform and not subject to copyright infringement. Just think of all the different movies that copy plots of like 20 horror/action/fantasy films and mash them into one comedy plot.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2014
Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
the professer is a quest you get when you do celestia you have to go to him for something but i forget what sorry all and you get to celestia after you do marley and mooshu and after ds

Survivor
Feb 25, 2012
LOL
yeah i saw that and freaked out.
i'm a huge doctor who fan ,so i'll probably be looking for the professor ASAP!

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Xion1111 on Oct 4, 2014 wrote:
LOL
yeah i saw that and freaked out.
i'm a huge doctor who fan ,so i'll probably be looking for the professor ASAP!
Well then you should be loving the B.O.X.E.S. event for Halloween this year -- they have taken the minor MB reference and run full-out with it. Just incase any of you had the slightest doubt, this event will settle the matter decisively, even down to the Doctor Who theme music playing once you get inside the BOXES. It is simply Awesome!