Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Manners Manners Manners.....

1
AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 21, 2008
61
I noticed many of our younger wizards are being rude or careless to others while exploring Wizard101. I notice (and this happens to me) many players entering your combat and then logging off just so you fight three people at once... when you ask then "Why did you do that?" they curse at you with they words not tracked by the filters...

Wizard101 NEEDS desperately needs to teach manners to children playing because I don;t think any of us enjoy being mocked by younger wizards or being the target of pranks, as mentioned above.

To resolve this issue I suggest a "manner" quest series to teach younger wizards on how to behave in an environment where the key is (mostly) to cooperate with others.

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
339
lorddoom141 wrote:
I noticed many of our younger wizards are being rude or careless to others while exploring Wizard101. I notice (and this happens to me) many players entering your combat and then logging off just so you fight three people at once...


As much as I hate to admit it, I have done this before. It was not because I was being "rude", it was because I had something to do that was important in real life. Remember, most people do not live on the computer. We have lives, too.

when you ask then "Why did you do that?" they curse at you with they words not tracked by the filters...

Hmm... okay, I've never done that! If someone curses at you, then you should report them immeadiately. That is really inappropriate, and it really irritates me every time I see someone trying to do that. It's blocked for a reason, everyone!

Wizard101 NEEDS desperately needs to teach manners to children playing because I don;t think any of us enjoy being mocked by younger wizards or being the target of pranks, as mentioned above.

First of all, how do you know they are "younger wizards?" They could be much, much older than you for all you know. Plus, this has only happened to me once or twice. I feel bad for you if this is happening at regular intervals! Believe me, not all wizards are this careless. Wizard101 has plenty of people that I'm sure would love to help you.

Also, as I already stated, it might not have been just a prank. They could have a very valid reason for leaving you. What if there was an emergency in real life? Would you really expect someone to help you, who is just some character on a screen, when they could be saving a REAL life? This IS a game, and games don't always come first.

To resolve this issue I suggest a "manner" quest series to teach younger wizards on how to behave in an environment where the key is (mostly) to cooperate with others.

Now... I don't really know if this would help, unless they somehow worked this into the main storyline. I'm sure SOME would do this just for the experience, but honestly, if someone is rude enough to purposefully leave you alone in a battle with no reason behind it, I doubt this would change their minds. Plus, all quests are optional. Like I said, it would really only be mandatory if you put it in the main storyline, forcing wizards to do it if they wish to progress in the game.

I don't know about you... but I wouldn't want to HAVE to do something like that!

I don't think this matter can really be resolved. There are always rude people, even in real life, and you can't do anything but pity them. If they are going to act childish, they really don't deserve to be on your friends list or help you in combat.

Oh, and remember that you can always do the same thing as them - if you are left with three enemies because someone joined the battle and then logged out, you can log out, too! Unless you are far along in the battle, this shouldn't be a problem. Then you can log back on and start a new battle with only two enemies.

There! Problem solved?

By the way, I'm not against you. I really do think that something should be done about the way wizards sometimes treat each other... but I don't think this is the way. ;)

Sorry for the incredibly long post. I really didn't think that all this would take so long!

Explorer
Sep 21, 2008
61
Finished reading that nice long list of statements I see your point on many things but I disagree, that yes I do know they are "young wizards" I would never see an adult act in such a manner as too curse or prank in a child game.

I see your point on the "real life emergency" but when you ask "?" or "why?" and they go "LOL NOOB!" or "curse noob" I kinda get that its a prank.

There would be a small chance of success in the quest line if Kings Isle puts time into developing an accurate one... such with activities, example.. "Get 4 people to give you a thumbs up" or "Be-Friend a person and spend some time with them" I think players who are nice to others would also enjoy this! I know I would. I love to meet new people in the game and makes some friends to make the game easier to pass through.

Thanks for responding and I am thankful you took time to write back to me. :)

Regards Justin.

Anthony Ghostbreath level 50 Necromancer
Justin Ghostbreath level 50 Pyromancer
Edward Ghostbreath level 23 Conjurer

Good Luck in the game!

Survivor
Sep 27, 2009
11
Ive also had this problem i was in mooshu fighting, and a guy came to fight with me and when we were fighting he didnt do anything all he did was satnd there which i thought was mean. and people are always begging me to give them mounts and when i dont they report me and call me names. But i dont think its KI fault because they cant be following everyone.

Defender
Jun 29, 2009
165
Although Windlilly has some extremely compelling arguments as to why a person may appear to have no "Manners Manners Manners," are these just excuses for dismissively being rude to people because we are faceless and on the internet? Most would NEVER treat another person that way in a face to face situation. Manners would and should dictate at least a simple one word comment such as "brb," "Door," "Phone," or even "Sorry." Is it just too much for anyone to type a simple one word courtesy message to that other person out there in order to keep some level of Manners Manners Manners within the Wizard 101 community?

Survivor
Sep 11, 2009
5
bitter if someone reports you false or its not true or its not a matter that needs a suspension of your account the suspension can be held against them :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Defender
Mar 24, 2009
131
Windlilly wrote:
lorddoom141 wrote:
I noticed many of our younger wizards are being rude or careless to others while exploring Wizard101. I notice (and this happens to me) many players entering your combat and then logging off just so you fight three people at once...


As much as I hate to admit it, I have done this before. It was not because I was being "rude", it was because I had something to do that was important in real life. Remember, most people do not live on the computer. We have lives, too.

when you ask then "Why did you do that?" they curse at you with they words not tracked by the filters...

Hmm... okay, I've never done that! If someone curses at you, then you should report them immeadiately. That is really inappropriate, and it really irritates me every time I see someone trying to do that. It's blocked for a reason, everyone!

Wizard101 NEEDS desperately needs to teach manners to children playing because I don;t think any of us enjoy being mocked by younger wizards or being the target of pranks, as mentioned above.

First of all, how do you know they are "younger wizards?" They could be much, much older than you for all you know. Plus, this has only happened to me once or twice. I feel bad for you if this is happening at regular intervals! Believe me, not all wizards are this careless. Wizard101 has plenty of people that I'm sure would love to help you.

Also, as I already stated, it might not have been just a prank. They could have a very valid reason for leaving you. What if there was an emergency in real life? Would you really expect someone to help you, who is just some character on a screen, when they could be saving a REAL life? This IS a game, and games don't always come first.

To resolve this issue I suggest a "manner" quest series to teach younger wizards on how to behave in an environment where the key is (mostly) to cooperate with others.

Now... I don't really know if this would help, unless they somehow worked this into the main storyline. I'm sure SOME would do this just for the experience, but honestly, if someone is rude enough to purposefully leave you alone in a battle with no reason behind it, I doubt this would change their minds. Plus, all quests are optional. Like I said, it would really only be mandatory if you put it in the main storyline, forcing wizards to do it if they wish to progress in the game.

I don't know about you... but I wouldn't want to HAVE to do something like that!

I don't think this matter can really be resolved. There are always rude people, even in real life, and you can't do anything but pity them. If they are going to act childish, they really don't deserve to be on your friends list or help you in combat.

Oh, and remember that you can always do the same thing as them - if you are left with three enemies because someone joined the battle and then logged out, you can log out, too! Unless you are far along in the battle, this shouldn't be a problem. Then you can log back on and start a new battle with only two enemies.

There! Problem solved?

By the way, I'm not against you. I really do think that something should be done about the way wizards sometimes treat each other... but I don't think this is the way. ;)

Sorry for the incredibly long post. I really didn't think that all this would take so long!


Sierra Winterbreeze ( Yes i know the storie. Love them! ), people seem to just keep doing it for no reason, then when you report you, they just have all their friends team up and report you! We're not blaming you. But hey, when is part 12 gonna come out? :D

Survivor
Oct 10, 2009
27
it happens to me too like when i ask for help to one of my friends i have been helping all day they just say O: i already did that!!!! and they only willing to help me if it something they have for a quest it mean so i remove them :x

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
1
I am having issues with people entering battle then doing nothing or casting defenses on themselves the whole time. By the end of the battle I have tanked all of the damage and dealt all of the damage (they hang back for around just to make sure you tank everything).

Don't get me wrong. I don't need help in the game; I normally solo. However, when I play with my friend and some one rides fights it makes it gives us 4 to battle rather than two... and ends up with at least one of the damagers being defeated.

In short; people who do no damage and ride out boss fights should not get experience or credit for completing the boss fight.

Defender
Nov 25, 2009
160
lorddoom141 wrote:
Finished reading that nice long list of statements I see your point on many things but I disagree, that yes I do know they are "young wizards" I would never see an adult act in such a manner as too curse or prank in a child game.


Are you sure? They seem to have nothing againts cursing in real life! In fact, adults act much MUCH worse in real life. :(

I see your point on the "real life emergency" but when you ask "?" or "why?" and they go "LOL NOOB!" or "curse noob" I kinda get that its a prank.

That makes sense.... after all, if they left in an emergency... why are they still playing the game?

There would be a small chance of success in the quest line if Kings Isle puts time into developing an accurate one... such with activities, example.. "Get 4 people to give you a thumbs up" or "Be-Friend a person and spend some time with them" I think players who are nice to others would also enjoy this!

Enjoy it? I suppose.... but not if it's the main story line.

Destiny Dragoncoin lvl 45 Balance/Ice

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
84
I mean I really dont know what you mean by "younger wizards"

I think that a lot of the Grandmasters that think they are at the top of their game, make a different character because they think that can get off the hook with their "new" character. (no affence to grandmasters, i'm one too but some do this)

Most of the younger wizards are "grandmasters".

I would think that if you were a "younger wizard" that you would focus more on leveling up then trying ot get people mad at you.

I also dont know how KingsIsle can try to teach manners. It's really not their problem. It's the players actions.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
84
poseygirlolive wrote:
Windlilly wrote:
lorddoom141 wrote:
I noticed many of our younger wizards are being rude or careless to others while exploring Wizard101. I notice (and this happens to me) many players entering your combat and then logging off just so you fight three people at once...


As much as I hate to admit it, I have done this before. It was not because I was being "rude", it was because I had something to do that was important in real life. Remember, most people do not live on the computer. We have lives, too.

when you ask then "Why did you do that?" they curse at you with they words not tracked by the filters...

Hmm... okay, I've never done that! If someone curses at you, then you should report them immeadiately. That is really inappropriate, and it really irritates me every time I see someone trying to do that. It's blocked for a reason, everyone!

Wizard101 NEEDS desperately needs to teach manners to children playing because I don;t think any of us enjoy being mocked by younger wizards or being the target of pranks, as mentioned above.

First of all, how do you know they are "younger wizards?" They could be much, much older than you for all you know. Plus, this has only happened to me once or twice. I feel bad for you if this is happening at regular intervals! Believe me, not all wizards are this careless. Wizard101 has plenty of people that I'm sure would love to help you.

Also, as I already stated, it might not have been just a prank. They could have a very valid reason for leaving you. What if there was an emergency in real life? Would you really expect someone to help you, who is just some character on a screen, when they could be saving a REAL life? This IS a game, and games don't always come first.

To resolve this issue I suggest a "manner" quest series to teach younger wizards on how to behave in an environment where the key is (mostly) to cooperate with others.

Now... I don't really know if this would help, unless they somehow worked this into the main storyline. I'm sure SOME would do this just for the experience, but honestly, if someone is rude enough to purposefully leave you alone in a battle with no reason behind it, I doubt this would change their minds. Plus, all quests are optional. Like I said, it would really only be mandatory if you put it in the main storyline, forcing wizards to do it if they wish to progress in the game.

I don't know about you... but I wouldn't want to HAVE to do something like that!

I don't think this matter can really be resolved. There are always rude people, even in real life, and you can't do anything but pity them. If they are going to act childish, they really don't deserve to be on your friends list or help you in combat.

Oh, and remember that you can always do the same thing as them - if you are left with three enemies because someone joined the battle and then logged out, you can log out, too! Unless you are far along in the battle, this shouldn't be a problem. Then you can log back on and start a new battle with only two enemies.

There! Problem solved?

By the way, I'm not against you. I really do think that something should be done about the way wizards sometimes treat each other... but I don't think this is the way. ;)

Sorry for the incredibly long post. I really didn't think that all this would take so long!


Sierra Winterbreeze ( Yes i know the storie. Love them! ), people seem to just keep doing it for no reason, then when you report you, they just have all their friends team up and report you! We're not blaming you. But hey, when is part 12 gonna come out? :D


There is live moderating so I really wouldnt worry about them reporting you. You are not doing anything wrong by reporting them.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
37
This goes for PvP practice duels, too. Sometimes I spend some time waiting to get into a 4v4 that's fairly evenly matched, only to have one (sometimes two) players decide they don't like the odds and flee without a word. For me, a lop-sided match is less fun, whichever side I happen to be on.

I understand sometimes Mom comes in and says "it's time to do your homework" or the phone rings or whatever, but at least give us a "gtg" just to be polite.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
9
I know if my mother ever said get off the computer I am pressing Alt + F4 and getting off before she inflicts a punishment.


Not everyone can give a "polite goodbye". Also for some people that do not have the "talk" privilage it takes even longer to have to go through the menu for a standard "goodbye".


Again do what they had to do, exit and re enter. You will start off with the same number of bad guys to fight off. If you wait about 15 seconds enter again and there is a good chance you won't be in a fight at all and you can quickly click the automatic "home" button to avoid getting into another fight.

I am sure there will be a fix to this. Sooner or later they will give a repercussion to exiting while in battle. Mark my words. which will really hurt the player who the prank is on.


But 'till then just go ahead and exit and re enter in about 15 seconds.

Survivor
Apr 10, 2010
49
lorddoom141 wrote:
I noticed many of our younger wizards are being rude or careless to others while exploring Wizard101. I notice (and this happens to me) many players entering your combat and then logging off just so you fight three people at once... when you ask then "Why did you do that?" they curse at you with they words not tracked by the filters...

Wizard101 NEEDS desperately needs to teach manners to children playing because I don;t think any of us enjoy being mocked by younger wizards or being the target of pranks, as mentioned above.

To resolve this issue I suggest a "manner" quest series to teach younger wizards on how to behave in an environment where the key is (mostly) to cooperate with others.
hey us kids aren't all bad and besides most rude players are teenagers or adults

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
835
That would be annoying to us (adults or kids) that behave to have to do the quest you suggest, besides kids could just do the quests and ignore the lesson. Simply switch to a less popular realm to avoid kids, most stay on the first page of realms, unless porting to someone.

Delver
Mar 19, 2009
259
AlecVolterra wrote:
That would be annoying to us (adults or kids) that behave to have to do the quest you suggest, besides kids could just do the quests and ignore the lesson. Simply switch to a less popular realm to avoid kids, most stay on the first page of realms, unless porting to someone.

Yeah the realms idea really works... Most kids like to go to the popular realms so there is more of a chance the could get help on a quest, or maybe make other players lives miserable...

Defender
May 29, 2009
109
lorddoom141 wrote:
To resolve this issue I suggest a "manner" quest series to teach younger wizards on how to behave in an environment where the key is (mostly) to cooperate with others.


Not happening man this is an RPG game

Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
1
I find it more annoying, that some higher status wizards tend to make fun of "NOOBs". This really irritates me, and this kind of behavior really needs to stop. You can't enjoy the game if someone from some random place texts you out of no where "NOOB!" "You're such a NOOB". You can ignore, but it just seems keep happening with other wizards who think it's funny. I haven't been a noob for some time now, but I see it happening to others who take offense to it. Maybe "NOOB" needs to be filtered?

Defender
Mar 13, 2010
151
I am an older player, on a fixed income but still have some crowns.

I have only been playing a month but am amazed at the number of players that friend me and then expect that I owe them a gift!

I was even told by one player that friends do that for other friends and that if I did not give him what he wanted, I was not a friend.

Do parents know their children are behaving like this? Each of the three younger players removed me from their friend list when I did not buy them what they wanted. Yesterday, the reply to me was "I only wanted a <name of pet> pet."

From experience with my grandchildren and their friends, I know there are kids out there that behave like this in real life. It is rather sad.

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
351
Cealwutka, I have noticed the same thing. Someone friended me then asked how many crowns I had. I told her none of her businesses then unfriended her! Unfortunately it appears that teaching manners and appropriate behavior has gone by the wayside for far too many families these days.

I would recommend playing in a less busier realm, one that says perfect. I play on Imp. There are still many people to interact with but it seems the more experienced players (who are less likely to do this sort of thing) play on these less frequented realms.

Anyway, as they say, don't let the turkeys get you down and have fun!

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
39
The only option I can feasibly suggest and see somehow working, is some sort of system that automatically sends an email to the parent when their child was reported for 'Inappropriateness'. Then if the parent 'remotely' cared about their child's well-being (and i'm sure all of them do ), they would hopefully take action.

Of course this has it's flaws such as the possible difficulty of implementing said system, and it has no power to those over the age of 13 since they put their own email anyway.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2902
I've played RPG's online since 1992. Frankly, nothing practical can be done to correct the fact that a lot of people (not necessarily all kids, either) are going to be rude, selfish, incosiderate, etc., e.g. generally mean. We see this on every MMORPG, all forums that aren't moderated, in chat rooms, and anywhere online where interaction is possible. Also, as mentioned, sometimes people may leave battle because they disconnect or are faced with a real life situation that demands their attention.

One way of dealing with it is to turn text chat off. Another is to simply not answer people who are rude. If they're persistent, the ignore feature is there.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
9
StormrunnerX7 wrote:

Of course this has it's flaws such as the possible difficulty of implementing said system, and it has no power to those over the age of 13 since they put their own email anyway.


Um, I'm over 13 and I don't have my own email. :?

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
31
Ok, I agree with most of what you said except at the end about the quest.
One: You can't force people to do a quest. The people that are doing this on purpose would not do that quest.
Two: If you did force people to do the quest, it would just ruin the game. Wizard101 isn't an ettiquette (hope i spelled it right) class. We don't want to learn about manners, we want to learn Storm Lord to zap Malistaire from DS to WC.

1