Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is there a bug in the critical system?

1
AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 29, 2014
8
Am I the only one who is experiencing some strange unusual occurrences when it comes to critical?
I have 300 block and yet I don't seem to be blocking; Even if the opponent has 400 and something Critical.
Yet I can't land a critical and I have 450-460 critical and they most the time dont even have 300 block?

Is there something I am not understanding here?
Any help or light that you can shine on this cloud would be appreciated!

Thank you;
Mason SilverEyes

Administrator
Hello,

Are you playing in the live game or on the test realm?

If you are playing on the test realm, the various changes to the critical system are explained in these locations:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/update-notes/testrealm
https://www.wizard101.com/forum/test-realm-updates-discussion/crit-crit-block-and-you-8ad6a41950ad8d660150ce95194e4268?page=1


community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Sep 29, 2014
8
Live Realm, but I do have a question for test realm.
Will the Ward Enchants, be usable on weakness and other such defense related spells?

Survivor
Sep 29, 2014
8
I feel like my stats are bugged in live realm every since I got Rogue's boots for balance from meowiarty exalted duel.
I'm wearing Krokopatra's Justice Fez, Rattlebones Balance Robes, and the Balance boots from Meowiarty.
Thats all 3 pieces of exalted school related gear.
But when wearing them all together my critical and damage seems really bugged.. Idk if this has ever happened before but its definitely much less than what it was when wearing castle darkmoors boots, and masque of the exalted one.

Administrator
Could you be more specific about why you think there is a bug? What is happening?


community@wizard101.com
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4163
Mason SilverEyes on Nov 16, 2015 wrote:
Live Realm, but I do have a question for test realm.
Will the Ward Enchants, be usable on weakness and other such defense related spells?
Weakness is a negative charm not a ward.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2011
14
Professor Greyrose on Nov 16, 2015 wrote:
Could you be more specific about why you think there is a bug? What is happening?
You might not completely understand what is going on there is so many things wrong with the critical system. Your character will either critical through and never block, or black and never critical (with block set it is also at expense of lowered damage stats.) Kingsisle thought they fixed an all or nothing system but all they did was create one. I recall before the update being in a practice 4v4 using full jade armor. On the other team there was a critical storm (he used the jack hallows wailer) he managed to accumulate 623 crit, and my block was 268. I got crit through most of the time (which is what should have happened) but on 3 occasions I pulled out a lucky block. That system was not all or nothing! Then the new system came along, lowering critical percentage, and then drastically lowering block chance! Now a crit storm wont critical every time (with 623 i am assuming like 70-80%) BUT when they do, you can bet your money the opponent wont block. Also life school with this update has become The Worst School In the game! because critical heal is dead. Life gear never had the highest critical rating but it had enough so it could critical on a heal which made the school even with the others (weather that is debatable or not it is not what I am here to talk about) Now with lowered critical Life school has become irrelevant and some people may not even consider them good enough to come in their dungeon team. Also at legendary PvP critical isn't lowered enough on another post someone stated they had 224 critical which was 44% and with the update lowered to 42% and the block went down a lot more meaning that whoever has the most critical in legendary PvP will rule the leaderboards. One solution could be lower critical more but in that case you have made life school even more of an abomination. This updated critical system is so horrible and needs to be thrown away immediately It is ruining the game for everyone.

level 62 Noah Skullhorn
level 100 Wolf Anvilflame

Survivor
Sep 15, 2012
46
The over all critical and critical block seems to have been lowered. This is either a bug or a bad move on the part of KI. It's way harder to get through Darkmoor now and places that were easier for exalted wizards in the past are proving to be crazy hard. Why? That's all I can say. I hope this gets fixed cause otherwise I'm not enjoying this new update. My girl and I are waiting to see why this is and if it doesn't get resolved we'll probably be quitting. I can understand making the new part of the game more challenging but not lowering the stats of exalted players that have worked so hard to get where they were. I think some explaining as to whether or not this is a bug or a legit update is in order for the people who pay to play and want to enjoy this game.

After reading the Falmea post I understand that changes are being made but the problem is it's not balanced in game play like is was proposed to be. I was just questing in Khrysalis and was getting hit left and right with critical attacks and not blocking anything. The damage is what keyed me into the fact that my critical is messed up not just looking at my stats. So the only change I see is that we've been made weaker.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2010
27
Pumpkin Wizard on Nov 18, 2015 wrote:
You might not completely understand what is going on there is so many things wrong with the critical system. Your character will either critical through and never block, or black and never critical (with block set it is also at expense of lowered damage stats.) Kingsisle thought they fixed an all or nothing system but all they did was create one. I recall before the update being in a practice 4v4 using full jade armor. On the other team there was a critical storm (he used the jack hallows wailer) he managed to accumulate 623 crit, and my block was 268. I got crit through most of the time (which is what should have happened) but on 3 occasions I pulled out a lucky block. That system was not all or nothing! Then the new system came along, lowering critical percentage, and then drastically lowering block chance! Now a crit storm wont critical every time (with 623 i am assuming like 70-80%) BUT when they do, you can bet your money the opponent wont block. Also life school with this update has become The Worst School In the game! because critical heal is dead. Life gear never had the highest critical rating but it had enough so it could critical on a heal which made the school even with the others (weather that is debatable or not it is not what I am here to talk about) Now with lowered critical Life school has become irrelevant and some people may not even consider them good enough to come in their dungeon team. Also at legendary PvP critical isn't lowered enough on another post someone stated they had 224 critical which was 44% and with the update lowered to 42% and the block went down a lot more meaning that whoever has the most critical in legendary PvP will rule the leaderboards. One solution could be lower critical more but in that case you have made life school even more of an abomination. This updated critical system is so horrible and needs to be thrown away immediately It is ruining the game for everyone.

level 62 Noah Skullhorn
level 100 Wolf Anvilflame
"This updated critical system is so horrible and needs to be thrown away immediately It is ruining the game for everyone."

I would like to give this sentiment a +100000000 and I dearly hope that KI is paying attention.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2012
15
I am suddenly having terrible problems with my critical block and critical hit as well. I used to have a pretty high percentage of both, and now it has become frustrating to try and get a critical hit even once, let alone block. I really hope it is a bug, because I spent a great deal of time and money setting my wizard up just the way I wanted it.

Administrator
The changes to the critical system are explained here:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/update-notes/november2015#misc

Quoting from the update notes:

The system for calculating Critical and Block has been altered to provide more balance in gameplay. Previously, if a Wizard’s Critical Rating was lower than the opponent’s block rating, they would almost never land a Critical hit against that opponent. The calculation has been altered as follows. When a Wizard casts a spell, the system will calculate a chance for them to achieve a Critical hit with a higher chance to succeed based on their Critical rating. Then the system will calculate a chance for the opponent to Block the Critical hit based on their Block rating. These new calculations will show a reduction in Critical and Block percentages overall. While this means that you may achieve a Critical cast less often than you previously may have, when you do land a Critical hit on an opponent, it is less likely to always be blocked. This should provide more variety in gameplay, and give Wizards the opportunity to continue to improve to level 110 and beyond in the future. As an added benefit to the system, Critical heals will now receive a minor bonus beyond the doubled healing amount.


community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Dec 13, 2012
15
Professor Greyrose on Nov 18, 2015 wrote:
The changes to the critical system are explained here:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/update-notes/november2015#misc

Quoting from the update notes:

The system for calculating Critical and Block has been altered to provide more balance in gameplay. Previously, if a Wizard’s Critical Rating was lower than the opponent’s block rating, they would almost never land a Critical hit against that opponent. The calculation has been altered as follows. When a Wizard casts a spell, the system will calculate a chance for them to achieve a Critical hit with a higher chance to succeed based on their Critical rating. Then the system will calculate a chance for the opponent to Block the Critical hit based on their Block rating. These new calculations will show a reduction in Critical and Block percentages overall. While this means that you may achieve a Critical cast less often than you previously may have, when you do land a Critical hit on an opponent, it is less likely to always be blocked. This should provide more variety in gameplay, and give Wizards the opportunity to continue to improve to level 110 and beyond in the future. As an added benefit to the system, Critical heals will now receive a minor bonus beyond the doubled healing amount.
That may be the desired effect, but that doesn't seem to be whats happening. I am STILL getting hit with multiple critical hits in a row by bosses and not blocking. I have yet to critical today, and finally became so frustrated that I stopped playing. It does not seem to have balanced out at all, but rather wasted tons of work I put into the game, and made my wizard weak and vulnerable.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2012
46
Sorry not trying to spam but I honestly feel as the saying goes, "If it's not broken why fix it?" I'm wondering before this update how many complaints about the critical/ critical block system KI would receive annually? If I read that last post correctly a heal bonus will be added to healing spells if they critical, however this does no good if the wizard almost never critical casts in the first place. From the game play I've experienced since the update like I said in my earlier edited post it just seems as though my wizard has been made weaker. I never minded the critical and critical block happening a lot because occasionally I'd have one go through. My critical block seemed to always work in the past no matter what I was facing and now I just got hit with large critical damages consecutively from just average mobs not even bosses in Khrysalis. How is this balanced? I worked hard to get the Darkmoor and exalted duel gear I got but I feel a lot of my power has been taken away. I hope this update is reconsidered.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2013
22
Professor Greyrose on Nov 18, 2015 wrote:
The changes to the critical system are explained here:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/update-notes/november2015#misc

Quoting from the update notes:

The system for calculating Critical and Block has been altered to provide more balance in gameplay. Previously, if a Wizard’s Critical Rating was lower than the opponent’s block rating, they would almost never land a Critical hit against that opponent. The calculation has been altered as follows. When a Wizard casts a spell, the system will calculate a chance for them to achieve a Critical hit with a higher chance to succeed based on their Critical rating. Then the system will calculate a chance for the opponent to Block the Critical hit based on their Block rating. These new calculations will show a reduction in Critical and Block percentages overall. While this means that you may achieve a Critical cast less often than you previously may have, when you do land a Critical hit on an opponent, it is less likely to always be blocked. This should provide more variety in gameplay, and give Wizards the opportunity to continue to improve to level 110 and beyond in the future. As an added benefit to the system, Critical heals will now receive a minor bonus beyond the doubled healing amount.
My Critical/Block worked fine before the update not to mention the crowns and hours spent crafting equipment most criticals are hitting me and block doesn't work not even with elixir of fortification games are suppose to be fun and entertaining not stressing people out only thing I know to do is cancel all my accounts so they will not renew and buy no more crowns. It was unfair before because critical hits were blocked 99% of the time with bosses now I am lucky if I get one critical to manifest.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2009
15
obviously kingsisle doesn't care if we critical at all. before the update my lvl 98 myth had 56% chance to critical now it is 3% my lvl 100 ice had 61% chance to critical and now 7%! and chance to block is halved on all my wizards period. This is wrong on all levels, fix it.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
133
I did some small sample testing on the old system, the test system, and the new system. I went in with the blue razors. Same wizard, same gear, same level. Approximately 70 damage spells cast by the blue razors almost the same percentage of criticals cast. The only difference was going from blocking all to blocking 6 out of 15. Before pretty much the only criticals that would make it through was from bosses. Since they seem to critical more often this would increase difficulty across the board. I understand how the new system works. But still don't like it.

The critical worlds were tweaked to "x" difficulty. But now all the worlds difficulty and reliance on luck have been increased from celestia and wintertusk to Khrysalis. And not sure about what has happened in the three new dungeons.

Relying on even more luck just to play the game. Instead of knowing your equipment, and adjusting as needed.to me is not a good way to go. Also from the tests to me I would see groups of criticals them and those also seemed to group making it through. Then lulls where no criticals cast for several battle sets.

Also not sure if this was intended or not. Spells like frost bite, fire dragon, rain of firem deer knight you may block the initial critical but the following aot may make it through.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
82
This new system regardless of how they try to "sell" it to us means not blocking or criticaling anywhere like you used to. It affects wizards differently depending on their level. If you are around 50-70 you are more or less the same as before. Once you start heading to 90 and looking to upgrade to your hades sets things become quite awful. The block is so low and critical a joke it makes the hades set almost useless. By the time you are ready to start farming darkmoor or exalted dungeons you better have block wand and boots if you want any chance to survive the block is almost non existent otherwise. Even in Full darkmoor gear and a wand the block and critical are pathetic compared to what they once were. My wizards in full jade and a block wand still gets landed on practically 8 out of 10 times geez. I am left wondering if buying all those packs for wands etc was just money down the drain. i dont pvp so I cannot comment there, but as a PVE player I feel like this is a slap in the face for the some $400 dollars I have spent buying packs and bundles trying to get what I feel was my best set up. They have said it will be more effective yet with test and now in live I have yet to see it the mobs still block me (more now actually than before), I dont block anywhere the amount I used to though. The mobs seem to critical more often,but I dont critical even half the amount I used to do. How this is more effective for me as a player I dont know. Although Polaris was designed with this system in mind NONE of the other worlds were, so now with it affecting everyone from 50+ it will be allot more difficult to quest up to Polaris than it once was.

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
206
The lowering of critical and block percentage can only mean that level caps will continue to increase. The minor bonus for critical heals is an attempt to make up for the lowering in critical heal rates. I haven't used a heal on live realm yet so I don't know how much the boost is or how less frequently I critical on a heal.

I do agree that there was never a problem with the critical system before, and that it needs to be changed. I always envied how storms used to critical every hit, so I was looking forward to raising my storm to exalted so that she can do the same. Now all the time people spent farming for good critical gear is wasted.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2013
4
This new critical system is horrific. People spent a ton of time and money to level up there characters and make them stronger including crit, not to mention pets getting crit..then KI totally messes it up in effect wasting peoples time and money. I worked hard to get very high crit and now even on low levels such as Sardonyx etc I am nearly losing battles. Forget even trying Darkmoor type dungeons. KI really truly messed this up and if they do not change back then it means my time and my money was wasted and I am sure there are many others who feel the same. Either change it back or forget it I am done with Wizard and KI games.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2013
22
spyder0190 on Nov 19, 2015 wrote:
obviously kingsisle doesn't care if we critical at all. before the update my lvl 98 myth had 56% chance to critical now it is 3% my lvl 100 ice had 61% chance to critical and now 7%! and chance to block is halved on all my wizards period. This is wrong on all levels, fix it.
spyder0190, I feel the same way that Kingsisle does NOT care about the players that only plays the game these changes are being made because of the PvP players complaining and I have said this before if PvP players want this let them have it and leave (the regular players) alone and give this to the group that wants it I'm sure Kingsisles Techs can handle this.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2009
15
Midnight Jinx on Nov 19, 2015 wrote:
spyder0190, I feel the same way that Kingsisle does NOT care about the players that only plays the game these changes are being made because of the PvP players complaining and I have said this before if PvP players want this let them have it and leave (the regular players) alone and give this to the group that wants it I'm sure Kingsisles Techs can handle this.
my lowest wizards are now my strongest and highest are weakest on the new critical update. I screen shot all my wizards critical hit chance and trying to figure out how to send those to KI. but my level 56 with 50 critical (8%) is now stronger than my level 100 with 262 critical (7%). Being disabled and on limited income, I can not afford to spend massive amounts on crowns to get the best gear. So I craft and search bazaar and purchase packs when I can to try and get better gear for my wizards. This new system has made all those hours a waste of my time building up my wizards on limited monies.

This was like a slap in the face to all player that want to enjoy the game, as now it has become stressful.

And it is not enjoyable if I have to stress on the fact my wizards become less powerful as they level up.

I quit playing other games that ruined the enjoyment of the game for their PvP players sake. I HOPE they don't do that here.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
233
My biggest complaint here is the tons of crowns i spent to get the gourd wands just to have their effect nerfed. I wouldn't have bothered spending my hard earned dollars. Not cool, KI, not cool. Amber

Survivor
Aug 31, 2011
7
I have never thought of quitting the game before, but now with this new critical system, I think I want to. I’ve really enjoyed playing wizards, was a beta member of pirates, and have spent thousands of dollars on this game. But now I really don’t want to continue. I just found out that every time you level up, your critical stats go down! What’s the point anymore? Where’s the excitement in leveling up now? Instead of encouraging us, it’s discouraging us mightily, and I no longer want to level up. What will my hard-earned (and expensive) critical stats be when I get to 120? I’m better off being level 100. This new critical/block system completely ruins the game for me. There is no longer any reason to level up and continue playing, and it’s just not fun anymore. There must be a better way for KI to correct whatever error (or dead-end they got into) with the way the critical system was before. I really can’t express how disappointed I am now.

And why doesn’t KI listen to us? I haven’t met a single person who likes the changes. Most are very upset with them. I don’t want to give KI any more of my money, because they set things up one way, I spent time and money based on that, and now they’ve changed it so that I’ve wasted my time and money. How could I not be angry about that.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2010
35
Wow. Just wow. I haven't started Polaris yet (was planning to tonight), but this...this reading these posts is extremely disappointing and upsetting. Since my storm is the first to go there (my balance, life, and death are waiting in the wings), and as I am the muscle of my team, this makes me very upset. I understand what KI is trying to say conceptually, but from these posts, this makes me want to cry. Many years of playing, time and money spent,.. I surely hope it was not a waste...

Survivor
Apr 17, 2013
9
Professor Greyrose on Nov 18, 2015 wrote:
The changes to the critical system are explained here:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/update-notes/november2015#misc

Quoting from the update notes:

The system for calculating Critical and Block has been altered to provide more balance in gameplay. Previously, if a Wizard’s Critical Rating was lower than the opponent’s block rating, they would almost never land a Critical hit against that opponent. The calculation has been altered as follows. When a Wizard casts a spell, the system will calculate a chance for them to achieve a Critical hit with a higher chance to succeed based on their Critical rating. Then the system will calculate a chance for the opponent to Block the Critical hit based on their Block rating. These new calculations will show a reduction in Critical and Block percentages overall. While this means that you may achieve a Critical cast less often than you previously may have, when you do land a Critical hit on an opponent, it is less likely to always be blocked. This should provide more variety in gameplay, and give Wizards the opportunity to continue to improve to level 110 and beyond in the future. As an added benefit to the system, Critical heals will now receive a minor bonus beyond the doubled healing amount.
Professor Greyrose, I have been playing this game for going on 4 years, and never in those years have i been beaten down so hard and so fast by bosses. My critical and block were always sufficient to see me through ya sure i'd miss a block now and again, and so would the boss so it seemed even. But now Oh my, i am so disappointed in the changes to the game i could just cry. If you were trying to appease the PVP players with critical and block why oh why didn't you just make it so when they stepped into the PVP area, their stats would automatically change there and only there? I have crafted the best gear for my level and where i use to block almost everything, now, NOTHING! So to make it fair, you should allow all players to use their training points to obtain the conviction spell. Not just for the pvp players.

Mary Boomgiver
level 87 Death

1