Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Wild Bolt Spell - a Civilized Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
31
CorbinW wrote:
If there is one positive thing that can be said about this new change, it would probably be that Wild bolts 1000 points of damage is now fixed at 33% given it is divided among 10, 100 and 1000. This could be a solution to the accuracy boosts that have been plaguing players.

But having the card unaffected by enchantments and such, or capping it's percent increase at 20 or 25% and leaving it at 1000 could have been an equally good option.


Sadly it isnt a 33% chance at 1,000.I went to unicorn way and used bolt 33
times. This was the result.

4 fizz
12 at 100
13 at 10
4 at 1,000

Now you tell me ,is this in any way right?Even if it did hit 1,000 33% of the time MOST of the time your wasting your pips to use this.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
31
AlecVolterra wrote:
With a 30% accuracy increase to the spell, the MAX % someone can get on the 1000 hit is about 33%, this is a major improvement. For now with all the accuracy boosts, the old bolt could have 80%, this is WORSE then judgement, earthquake, chain stunning, tower shields, constant healing, etc. anything you can think of ALL COMBINED. This would RUIN pvp if it stayed the same. You n
eed to think about other schools, not just storm.


Ths simple solution is to cap the accuracy,NOT make the spell worthless to storm.

Defender
Jun 29, 2009
165
After getting bolted by the mobs in the Grotto that have an uncanny ability to hit at 1000, I vote to eliminate this spell! LOL

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
50
i have 2 storm grand masters, one did the test realm; this card is pulled from both their active decks, my swords do better and cost no pips; from what i have seen here so far, the math probabilities to hit the 1000 top are as bad as the lotteries - which i dont waste my dollars on

after the 'poll' it showed , what 62% hated the change, I read many of the posts and what they suggested, but i dont think 1/2 or majority recommended the current change

question? why is new accuracy so high , 70% ? I dont know of any posts in the past complaining about bolt being what 10% ? we took our chances, it was more a hey i only have 2 pips, try this till i get more pips spell

any spell will be augmented by old and new spells or equipment, this is nothing new, so why only this one spell changed and changed so drastically?

i dont bother to augment my cards , sun school and treasure cards rarely used - i save that for heals, extra prisms , traps, shields

i think KI would be better to retire this spell, too much time has been spent yelling back/forth in posts; the point has been reached where there will always be a group yelling they hurt the worst by what ever; too many are taking sides and we have lost something i think
we play the game for fun, we need to get back to that


Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
5
I honestly belive this is the worst thing you have done in the game so far. Storm took pride in their old Wildbolt, when they had not much else to take pride in. Storm is the weakest school in this game, with their low health and low accuracy. And you're going to weaken them again with a horrible new "Wildbolt"? It doesn't make any sense.

You say you're also listening to the comunity's feedback. No, clearly you aren't. A HUGE majority voted against the new "Wildbolt", yet no, it was changed anyways.

Please consider what "listening to the community" really is, and change back our beloved Wildbolt.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2010
12
I just canceled my subscription because of this. I had grown to really enjoy my storm. Wild Bolt was great because I had some control over it -- I could try to get my accuracy up with Keen Eyes and other spells and gear.

But now it's just another boring spell.

See ya, Wizard 101.

Delver
Jul 20, 2009
200
Shouldn't Wild Bolt stay how it use to be? 10% and 1,000 damage is good.

Survivor
May 05, 2009
40
Well... I tried to sell my Wild Bolt (see page #1 of this thread)
But no one wants it.

IMAGINE THAT!

So I'll just take it to Goodwill. Doubt they want it though.

On another note, I've been Bolted by the "bad guys" 6 times.
1 was for 100
4 were for 1000
1 was 690 ??????? I have no idea what category this one fits into.

Anyway my vote is to just eliminate the spell from the game.
It's no good in it's current form.


Defender
Feb 23, 2010
163
Are the changes to Wild Bolt horrible? Yes, they most certainly are. Forget the fact for the moment that it's a waste of pips, there is no way that I will use a spell that has a two-third chance of ruining my blades and traps for little if any gain. Having said that, I think some of the reactions I've read go a little too far. People are talking like Wild Bolt was all that Storm has. That is far from the truth. The other attack spells already do an increased amount of damage at a one pip discount. Wild Bolt was never meant to be a storm wizard's main weapon. It was meant to be a weapon of last resort, or a roll the dice and see if you can get that big hit spells. For instance, in a boss battle, if Wild Bolt came up in the first round, I'd cast it against a minion in the hopes of making it a quick one on one battle with the boss. I certainly never based my entire gear set up around Wild Bolt. I have my wizard equipped entirely in grandmaster gear, which means the spell hit with 25% accuracy. I preferred to focus on storm lord, triton, and stormzilla. So, losing Wild Bolt doesn't exactly leave me defenseless, nor does it take away my ability to beat bosses or large groups of enemies. It's certainly not something I'm going to walk away from the game over. Still, Wild Bolt is a dead card as far as I'm concerned. Please, put it back how it was (but cap at say 25%-30% accuracy regardless of boosts), or simply replace it with a new spell. The current Wild Bolt is simply a waste.

Explorer
Apr 02, 2009
52
The changes to the card are redicules. I mean this is STORM school. Some of the spells are to be stoung and hit hard. I mean 10 or 100 damage for a Storm school spell is just crazy. Its annoying. Right now I am wishing that I had leveled one of my other toons to 50 to play them now. Wild Bolt should go back to the 1000 damage and knocked down to a 20/25% acc.

Survivor
Apr 29, 2010
16
well i am fire but i have storm grandmaster friends that are really not liking this i had created a storm character and deleted it when i heard about the changes and most people are really complaining in wizard101 i have faught with storm wizards and they are always like aww because the hit is low especially casting toward bosses with like 7,000 to 10,000 health i believe that most people would like it to be normal or they'd just like to quit lot of rumors and complaining :(

Explorer
Aug 21, 2010
79
MordanTheGreat wrote:
After getting bolted by the mobs in the Grotto that have an uncanny ability to hit at 1000, I vote to eliminate this spell! LOL


Yep i agree that storm will be better off having any other spell because at least then we might be able to use it, instead of leaving it out of our decks.

Funny you say that mobs hit 1000 all the time, because that is exactly my opinion too. i dont think i have ever seen them hit anything but 1000, and once one got critical on me with a blade and wild bolt and killed me off first turn (his friend put the blade on him)

Survivor
Jul 21, 2010
1
I agree with everyone else who says, change bolt for PVP. I will not even use my storm in CL until they do. It's a PVP complaint for the most part. I don't think that it needs to be change in the regular game that we play.

I like the idea of 50/50 and 50% accuracy with an accuracy cap. 500/1000 hit.

Every school is unique in their own way, I have 6 grandmasters (all but ice) and i love them all and their special school talents. Storm has bolt and I would like to see that go back to the way it was. Just change it in PVP or like someone said make PVP only spells (just like clothes and pets).

(not an avid PVP player)

Explorer
Aug 21, 2010
79
Good news to all storm wizards!!

We now have more space in our decks! :D

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
Ok, I have seen several people quit the game so far. Yet, at the same token, I have figured out how and why, KI is not going to change Bolt back ever. First off, Unstoppable, a treasure card that gives +30% increase to accuracy, is available to buy in what is like the celestia library. Before, it was hard for us to actually find Sniper, that gave us a +20% increase, but this you can buy as many and as often as you like. Secondly, you can buy Gargatuan, an increase in attack strength by +250, these are 500 gold each also available at the Celestia Library, and finally, Amplify, a 20% increase to all attacks for yourself, for the next 4 rounds. I think they sold something to increase accuracy for next 4 rounds also, say by another 20%, these are 1000 gold each. so, that increases accuracy by 50%, the clothing at DS level gives 15%, my pet gives 5%, old card gave 10%, and even storm got an accuracy card of 10%, so that is 90% right there. Yet, we would still have to buy this stuff for gold to increase its accuracy, same as we would have to buy this stuff to increase bolts damage. So that it is no longer 10, 100, 1000 but 260, 350, 1250 plus 20%, plus clothing damage. They think we will like this change because of those factors.

Yet, let me state this then. The people playing this game that have not made it to celestia, dont have access to these items. Their bolt is useless to them. Also, why do we need unstoppable? Why add 30% accuracy, the only school to need that is storm, to take his 70% accuracy to 100%, but at DS level or CL level with his gear, he has 85% accuracy so the 30% accuracy would only be needed for one spell and one spell only. THE OLD BOLT! that had a 10% Accuracy. Do us all a favor, take out these dumb enhancements of accuracy and give us our bolt back, because honestly, the Unstoppable and the +20% accuracy for 4 rounds, they are really not needed. I dont need 140% accuracy, or at least, I shouldn't. Or can I fizzle at 100%, I know I fizzle more than I should at 90% as it is now.


Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
886
Akylax wrote:
I just canceled my subscription because of this. I had grown to really enjoy my storm. Wild Bolt was great because I had some control over it -- I could try to get my accuracy up with Keen Eyes and other spells and gear.

But now it's just another boring spell.

See ya, Wizard 101.


I suspect many more will be following suit unless legitimate complaints are addressed,and those with no merit are left alone.

Survivor
Nov 27, 2009
8
Pyrsik wrote:
Akylax wrote:
I just canceled my subscription because of this. I had grown to really enjoy my storm. Wild Bolt was great because I had some control over it -- I could try to get my accuracy up with Keen Eyes and other spells and gear.

But now it's just another boring spell.

See ya, Wizard 101.


I suspect many more will be following suit unless legitimate complaints are addressed,and those with no merit are left alone.


mine will be up nov. 13th so disappointed that KI has crippled storm this way wouldn't have been able to complete brisk breeze tower without the bolt and playing without it just isn't as much fun and my serviveal is now in a gamble when questing alone . My friend that i quest with has already just about quit playing so not much point for me the changes are messing up the game for many of us.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2008
16
I am not very happy, to say the least, about this. Why is it that the storm players have to have their spells changed? I was starting to get the hang of the wild bolt in it's original state and well now that is all out the window! I think I agree with the 50% with 500 or 1000, but we deserve to be able to boost it up with traps. What it is now is just cruel, 10??? Really??? We may as well get that as our first spell if it's going to hit 10!

Please either restore it back to 10% with 1000 damage or consider the 50% with 500 or 1000. Storm is meant to be strong, the only people who complained about wild bolt were pvpers. I personally only used it against bosses, it is too unreliable in pvp... You could have just banned the card from pvp, OR stuck to what you initially decided on!!!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
antaybh wrote:
I am not very happy, to say the least, about this. Why is it that the storm players have to have their spells changed? I was starting to get the hang of the wild bolt in it's original state and well now that is all out the window! I think I agree with the 50% with 500 or 1000, but we deserve to be able to boost it up with traps. What it is now is just cruel, 10??? Really??? We may as well get that as our first spell if it's going to hit 10!

Please either restore it back to 10% with 1000 damage or consider the 50% with 500 or 1000. Storm is meant to be strong, the only people who complained about wild bolt were pvpers. I personally only used it against bosses, it is too unreliable in pvp... You could have just banned the card from pvp, OR stuck to what you initially decided on!!!


There is no way it will be a 50% to hit with 500 or 1000 damage. With the celestia boosts, that will be way over 100% accurate and 750 to 1250 damage plus 20%, plus gear boosts, plus critical hit possibility.

Sorry. They put way too many Boosts in to compensate for their new Critical Hit/Block aspect. I still think though, that the original form of Wild Bolt will work, but maybe change the accuracy to 0 or -20 to start? Or even go lower after level 51? Because, Bolt is worthless to anyone not able to get to celestia. Let me Repeat that Game Designers, BOLT is WORTHLESS, to anyone not able to go to Celestia. Yet, when does storm get that spell? in Krok or Marleybone? So early in the game to get a worthless spell, while all the other schools get good spells.

Ok, and I would like some response from Admin, to let us know they are still listening, because it has been a while, and I dont think they are.

Defender
Dec 18, 2008
105
ok KI hear me/us out on this CHANGE WILD BOLT BACK!, it was fine with the 10% hit rate for 1000 damage, the new one 10 100 or 1000 for 70% hit rate is just plain useless i EARNED wild bolt on my storm and found it to be very useful. I pvped with it got my storm commander gear then stopped because there were too many people complaining. So they finally get what they want (all complainers do) and wild bolt is changed. How does that effect us diviners? harder battles, faster deaths, and worst of all, we lose a great spell that we EARNED! let's take judgment away from balance or minions from myth basically the same concept as this new bolt, a rip off.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
9
I have played with the new bolt a little bit. My friend has played with it more. I don't really like it. It seems like when the enemies use it they almost always get a 1000 hit but when us wizards use it, its mainly 100 or 10. Also I haven't played in PvP since the one match I lost in which it was 3 storms, all equipped with swords, traps, and bolt. That was the only attack spell they used. They had mainly power pips too so it was almost a constant barrage of wild bolt hits. Each hit was 1000. Makes a very unfair PvP fight.

I think if they want to keep it this way, they need to really randomize which hit you get, especially in PvP. I'm seeing way too many 1000 hits in PvP and the enemies in the worlds get them more than us wizards do. I used it more back before it was changed than I do now (I don't think I even have it in my deck now because of the change).

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1842
I'm a Crowns player, but I’ve paid for a month subscription just so I could comment on this.

I am a little surprised at the lack of foresight that the developers have shown when they changed Wild Bolt, not to mention the complete ignorance of Storm Wizard weaknesses and strategies. It seems to me that the only consideration they made was non-Storm wizards in PvP making their complaints….

The way that Wild Bolt worked before was as a wild shot in the dark. It was a maybe-this-will-work but probably-it-won’t gamble that might help and couldn’t hurt. A storm wizard who was in the process of stacking blades and traps and gaining pips for their high damage spell like Triton, Storm Lord or even Tempest might toss off a Wild Bolt and strike it lucky. (Pun intended.) If the card failed, you were no worse off than before, and ready to unleash your high-damage attack because your traps and blades were still ready and waiting. If the card worked---bonus! You had one less Mob to worry about.

Now, the Wild Bolt is almost guaranteed to waste traps and blades for nothing. It’s like shooting yourself in the kneecap while trying to run. Since storm wizards have such low health, we survive by hitting hard and fast. We can’t afford to wait another 3-4 rounds so we can reset our blades and traps. There isn’t enough time for that. Using a Wild Bolt and having it wipe out our blades will almost certainly cause us to be killed by the Mobs, because it will take us too long to recover our damage potential. The Mobs in Celestia especially only need to hit a storm wizard once or twice and it’s a quick trip to the commons with a wobbling head.

I get the feeling that the developers listened to non-Storm PvP players whining about Wild Bolt … but they didn’t actually play with a high level Storm wizard in the game to see how Wild Bolt is most effectively used. They’ve gone and made the spell worse than useless with this fix---it’s become a liability now.

Since the problem seemed to be with PvP folks, then your fix needs to focus on that. Forbid use of Wild Bolt in PvP. Simple. Or, if you won’t consider that, then please just cap the accuracy somewhere between 10-25%, game wide. No boosts or enhancements beyond that permitted for anyone, in the game or in PvP. This solves the problem for PvP players while not destroying the spell’s PvE potential for storm wizards.

For every subscribing PvP player who complained, you probably have a million PvE players who never complained. Don’t forget about the silent majority who never asked for this change in the first place. Don’t forget about the 60% who voted against this in the testing realms. And especially don’t forget about the needs of your Storm Wizards who need to survive on the mean streets of the Spiral.

Respectfully,

Sierra Stormcaller, Grandmaster Storm

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
272
Professor Greyrose wrote:
We've listened to our community, done internal balance testing and had exhaustive discussions about the spell Wild Bolt, and have change the Wild Bolt spell based on this research.

Wild Bolt will now have 70% accuracy and do 10, 100, or 1000 damage.

We will continue to monitor how this impacts the balance of the game, as well as listen to all players feedback.

We ask that you take some time to play with this version of Wild Bolt before jumping to conclusions. It's truly a Wild Bolt now!

All posts regarding this change MUST go in this thread, other posts will not be approved. Let's keep it civilized, constructive and creative please.


I have play this version of Wild Bolt and I hate it. Wild Bolt is so weak now with attack of 10 and 100... 1 out 10 trys probably get 1,000 damage.

What happen to the votes? 62% voted against such change!

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
2
Well. There goes me buying the new $39 dollar card.
Thanks KI you saved me some gas money and $39 dollars

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
51
Zzatdragon wrote:
HEY!! why did you change wild bolt?
the poll said that 62% of players HATED the change!!! so why did you not listen to us? and changed it any way,you just cut off the right hand of storm thanks a lot.


When considering the change, KI has to consider the folks who hate the wild bolt spell in any form, and particularly hate fighting a storm wizard who bolts them 55% of the time.

As a 10% spell, it's great (except perhaps for the player who loses a PvP match). When it hits more often than fizzles, it spoils the balance of the game.

I am fine with 10% base chance of hitting at 1000, with a max chance of 10% - 20%. So, your gear helps you hit with the serious spells, like Storm Lord and Triton, but doesn't distort all reality.