Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Making the best of my Level 5 pest spell?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
OK, I feel kind of stupid now, but I planted a Deadly Fly Trap in my dorm (I haven't bothered with a house yet). That's not actually what made me feel stupid. That was when the Deadly Fly Trap caught a Level 5 pest and, rather than do the smart thing (i.e., dig up the plant), I spent a whole 25,000 gold just to get the Level 5 pest spell. Ugh. Buyer's remorse.

However, now that I actually have the silly thing, how can I get the most out of this gardening spell? Which plants most consistently develop Level 5 pests while making the drops worth the effort of gardening them?

I'd prefer small or medium size plants, since I don't own any property for large plots. However, if you can make a case for investing in real estate, I'll consider it.

Thanks,
Seth DeathBreath, lvl54

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014
hey just my opinion i would say just stick with planting plants that give mega snacks at elder such as couch potato, evil magma peas, prickly bear cactus, and sword fern. but if you wanna plant other plants just to make your dorm look nice you should do that my friend.

P.S you can farm for couch potato seeds in Grizzlehiem (not sure if i spelled it right) or you can just buy the seeds from the Crown Shop if you have crowns to use

Blaze Fireshard lvl 100
Edward Skydreamer lvl 93
Blaze Shadowflame lvl 39

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Sneezypants05 on Mar 13, 2015 wrote:
OK, I feel kind of stupid now, but I planted a Deadly Fly Trap in my dorm (I haven't bothered with a house yet). That's not actually what made me feel stupid. That was when the Deadly Fly Trap caught a Level 5 pest and, rather than do the smart thing (i.e., dig up the plant), I spent a whole 25,000 gold just to get the Level 5 pest spell. Ugh. Buyer's remorse.

However, now that I actually have the silly thing, how can I get the most out of this gardening spell? Which plants most consistently develop Level 5 pests while making the drops worth the effort of gardening them?

I'd prefer small or medium size plants, since I don't own any property for large plots. However, if you can make a case for investing in real estate, I'll consider it.

Thanks,
Seth DeathBreath, lvl54
I know this response is about two months after the fact but I would definitely recommend buying a house. Even the cheapest houses available in the Shopping District or Krokotopia will give you enough area to create a sizeable garden. You'll be able to create a large area of plots to make full use of your Pest spell. Just remember, as you're laying out the plots you can switch back and forth between the plot spell and the pest spell to make sure all of the plots will be covered by the spell's radius of effect. To really utilize this kind of set-up you should get the "large area" versions of watering, pollenating, sunshine, music and magic spells as well. I'd also recommend getting the other available pest spells from rank 1 to rank 4. It may seem like a large expenditure of gold but gold is pretty easy to come by and the energy savings will be well worth it in the long run. Why cast a 25 point pest spell when you can get by with a 10-point spell? Remember to try and plant only one type of seed in the plot grouping so all of the plants will develop the same needs. If you stick to something like Couch Potatoes you can typically tend to all of their needs with an output of only 40-45 energy. By the time you do your first Elder harvest you'll have more than enough gold, TC and Mega Snacks to make up for your output of gold, and seeds enough to re-plant and start again.