Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How Do I Plant?

AuthorMessage
How do I Plant?
To prepare an area for planting outdoors in your Castle, you must cast a soil preparation spell. Soil preparation spells cost Energy. To garden in your dorm room or an indoor space in your Castle, you must buy a planter from the gardening vendor. There are different sizes and types of plants, but some types of plants cannot be planted indoors.

When you're ready to plant a seed in prepared soil or a planter, you must select the seed from your Gardening panel then select the location. This places the chosen seed into the soil or planter, where it can begin to grow.

Plants require attention to grow in the form of plant growing spells. All plants have needs that must be met, and plant growing spells fulfill those needs for a period of time. Plants needs include water, sunlight, pollination, music and magic. Plant growing spells cost Energy to cast, and are cast through the garden interface in your home.

Plants have likes & dislikes, conditions that can help them grow or hinder their development. A plant will grow faster if it is surrouned by things it likes, and it will grow slower if it is surrounded by things it dislikes. You can learn what a plant likes or dislikes by using the Inspect spell on it.

Plants go through several stages as they grow, from seed to seedling to young plant to mature plant to elder plant. Once a plant is mature, you can harvest it by interacting with it. A plant can be harvested repeatedly until it reaches the elder stage. Harvesting yields rewards such as reagents, pet snacks, gold, treasure cards or other seeds. When a plant reaches the elder stage, it can be harvested only one more time. This harvest will yield the greatest rewards. After this, the elder plant will disappear.

Where do I get Seeds?
You can get seeds from gardening vendors throughout the Spiral. Farley is the gardening vendor in Wizard City's Golem Court, look for his cousins Marley, Charley and Harley in other worlds. You can also earn seeds as rewards through defeating enemies in magic duels, or get them in other ways.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
How do you interact with it to harvest it? I tried pressing X and clicking with the garden window open and closed but it isn't working.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
How do you interact with it to harvest it? I tried pressing X and clicking with the garden window open and closed but it isn't working.

If the plant is showing that it is ready for harvesting, and you are not getting the X for harvest message, try going into your house or exiting your dorm room (forcing a load) then returning. You should be able to harvest when the plant spells are NOT turned on.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
In planting mode, if you place your wand on the plant, it will say 'time to harvest'. If at zero, and you have taken care of all it's needs, including pests, go into normal player mode, and an interaction box will pop up, allowing you to harvest.

Note, the plants also have a crazy dance when they want you to come and harvest.

Survivor
Nov 05, 2010
i cant seem to harvest the mature plants either for some reason. i have tried leaving house/dorm to let it reload. also the timer on it is stuck at 19 hours and 10 minutes. it not going down at all. there is no interaction button or anything. can someone plz help?

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
andrewtaraba wrote:
i cant seem to harvest the mature plants either for some reason. i have tried leaving house/dorm to let it reload. also the timer on it is stuck at 19 hours and 10 minutes. it not going down at all. there is no interaction button or anything. can someone plz help?

i am having the same problem. my plants "time to harvest" time is stuck at the same amount and i my plant is at the mature state but i can not harvest either HELP!!!!

Survivor
Oct 26, 2010
:? - Ok I have purchased a seed for a Ninja Fig with Crowns and now it seems I have no card to make a large plot and I cant seem to find it. How do I make large plot? I am rank 2 in Gardening thus far. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
When we are only rank 1, how do we give the plants the sunlight, water, and music they need if we haven't gotten the spells yet? My plants are dying because I haven't killed the pests yet. Please help they won't last much longer!

Survivor
Jul 04, 2010
oreocat134 wrote:
When we are only rank 1, how do we give the plants the sunlight, water, and music they need if we haven't gotten the spells yet? My plants are dying because I haven't killed the pests yet. Please help they won't last much longer!

Go to the vendor in Golem Court and train on the spells he has. You can use them on your plants :)

Survivor
Nov 05, 2010
oreocat134 wrote:

you have to purchase the spells. that is the only way to do it.

Survivor
Nov 05, 2010
Ok everyone i figured it all out. The timers on the plants update periodically not in real time. Also, you cant harvest your plants until the timer on the plants reaches zero. Plus, you cant harvest the plant if it is infected with pests or has other needs. I am harvesting and have reached lvl to gardening. I hope this helps everyone.

P.S-I found out that a quick way to reach rank 2 gardening is to purchase a bunch of Boom Shroom's and take care of them.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2010
I have read over and over about how to plant and I still am having trouble. I have purchased all the spells and prepared the soil but when I go to place a seed in the soil, it either shows up red or if the seed shows as if it can be placed, and I click the mouse the seed doesn't stay or get planted, the little wand with an X stays there and then try to close out and do it again the seeds show up red as if it cannot be placed there. Pls Helps :(

Survivor
May 14, 2009
NakiitaRose wrote:
I have read over and over about how to plant and I still am having trouble. I have purchased all the spells and prepared the soil but when I go to place a seed in the soil, it either shows up red or if the seed shows as if it can be placed, and I click the mouse the seed doesn't stay or get planted, the little wand with an X stays there and then try to close out and do it again the seeds show up red as if it cannot be placed there. Pls Helps :(

Maybe try using the medium soil instead of the small. that was happening to me to. hope this helps! :)

Survivor
Mar 07, 2010
I purchased a pot with medium prepared soil.. still no luck Zeek said something about a plant seeding spell.. I must be missing something so maybe thats it. Anyone know how to acquire such spell?