Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Garden Freeze Spell

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
It would be great if there was a freezing spell you could cast on your garden.

Freeze Area:
- 40 energy points
- All plants get frozen in last state (pests, needs, etc.)
- The frozen area is a big ice cube.
- Plants remain frozen until an unfreeze spell is cast.

Unfreeze Area
- 40 energy points
- all plants in area get unfrozen
- plants continue on from last state

This would allow shmucks like me to leave the game for a week without my whole garden getting wiped out. I think its a reasonable spell that a gardening wizard should be capable of.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2012
Actually, I like it.

For those of us who can't be planted in front of the computer for hours on end, or who do have need to be out of the house sometimes...lol...a stasis spell like this would be perfect. It's rough to see your progress wiped out because of the need to be away from the game.

Honestly though, 40 energy for this seems a bit extravagant. You're only asking for the ability to keep a garden "as is" so you can return and attend it, after all. It's not like you're suggesting a robo-gardening mechanism. I'd think 20 energy to freeze the garden, with a simple mana-powered spell to unfreeze it, would be plenty. I've never been of the school that every change needs to be punitive to pass muster.

Explorer
Feb 25, 2012
yeah i agree! i went over seas and when i got to my home most of my plants were dying, and all the furniture got moved randomly! but thats another story

Gabriel Ashleaf Level 46 Master Theurgist
Gabriel Shadoweyes Level 6 Apprentice Necromancer

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
When I originaly posted this I gardened mostly for fun. I had planted various fun plants around my house based on what looked nice.

But now.... thirty wizard levels later... gone are the nice fun plants....

How do I leave the game for a week without losing my fields of King Parsley and Couch Potatoes? Reviving an entire field (30 energy points per plant) does not seem reasonable. Obtaining the seeds for planting all over again is even worse. Second Spring spell not really applicable or practical either. What do other gamers do??

Do I have to hire the young kid next door to log on twice a day to water my in-game plants???

Advice from anybody would be appreciated!

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
Cool idea That would be so helpful while questing too

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
RottenHeart on Mar 24, 2013 wrote:
When I originaly posted this I gardened mostly for fun. I had planted various fun plants around my house based on what looked nice.

But now.... thirty wizard levels later... gone are the nice fun plants....

How do I leave the game for a week without losing my fields of King Parsley and Couch Potatoes? Reviving an entire field (30 energy points per plant) does not seem reasonable. Obtaining the seeds for planting all over again is even worse. Second Spring spell not really applicable or practical either. What do other gamers do??

Do I have to hire the young kid next door to log on twice a day to water my in-game plants???

Advice from anybody would be appreciated!
Agreed. There is a problem here and that idea is the best that I could possibly we able to think about.

I went to Myrtle Beach in the summer for a week (and 4 days because its 18 hours of driving) and when I got back, my plants we're all gone. Some though. The best way is to use some bug preventing spells. Bug increase the chances of your plant dying. But even with the bugs out of the way, our plants have needs.

Another possible suggestion could be Needs Prevents

- Summer Rays - Prevent a Sun Need for 96 hours
- Flowing Water - Prevent a Water Need for 96 hours
- Bee Hive - Prevent a Polination Need for 96 hours
- Wizards - Prevent a Magic Need for 96 hours
- Showtime! - Prevent a Music Need for 96 hours

Each of these might cost 20 or 30 energy each. I dont know.

I really hope this helped out, Rotten!

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
I hope something like this gets implemented sooner rather than later, and have been on the bandwagon for this since gardening first came to the Spiral. Lately all I do is hop on to garden to avoid dead plants, annoying, but necessary atm to hope to get some amber. Looks like I will be taking a break soon once this round of plants are fully harvested. I really wish KI would allow from some long-term needs/pest/stasis option even if it exhausts my energy for a certain length of time or crown refill.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
Unless it is a surprise vacation, the simple solution is to stop planting your garden prior to leaving. As most experience gardeners tend to cycle their seeds every three or four days, time the final harvests to happen just before you leave. You can replant once you return.

I have noticed that once the seeds reach final harvest, they will stay there indefinitely. So if you are one of the many people who may not be able to hold all your planted seeds in inventory, you can hold the harvest until you return and continue your cycles as your setup dictates.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Aurboth on Apr 11, 2013 wrote:
Unless it is a surprise vacation, the simple solution is to stop planting your garden prior to leaving. As most experience gardeners tend to cycle their seeds every three or four days, time the final harvests to happen just before you leave. You can replant once you return.

I have noticed that once the seeds reach final harvest, they will stay there indefinitely. So if you are one of the many people who may not be able to hold all your planted seeds in inventory, you can hold the harvest until you return and continue your cycles as your setup dictates.
Plants like King Parsley take 592 hours from seed to final harvest. Thats 24 days. This doesn't include items that help growth, or delays caused by pests/needs.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/House:King_Parsley.

Plants such as King Parsley are widely gardened by experienced players because its the only way to get amber for crafting spells in Avalon. Getting new seeds to replace your dead King Parsley isn't too bad, just causes another month of delayed gardening. Getting seeds for plants like couch potatoes isn't so easy.

But anyway, many players have more commitments than an annual vacation to schedule around.

I am curious how many mid-senior KI employees (including non-technical staff, executives, etc.) have played Wizard101 and accumulated sufficent amber through in-game efforts only (gardening) without the help or assistance from fellow employees, and no software cheats or work-arounds. I dare KI to post this in their lunch room!!!!!

Happy Wizarding!

Survivor
Mar 12, 2013
Interesting concept. Maybe nerf the energy costs a little bit? 30 to freeze and 30 to unfreeze.

Explorer
May 14, 2009
Really good idea. I'd like to see something like that happen.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Okay, I finally learned the simple trick for keeping a garden alive for weeks. I'm a little embaressed it took me so long to discover it. I'm also surprised nobody posted the answer.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Oh, the answer....

Fix all plant needs in your castle. Every single one. Then leave your castle immediately before new needs start appearing again. And don't return to that specific castle. You can leave the castle for weeks. You can also visit your other castles and houses no problem. When you return make sure you have enough energy to satisfy all your plant needs again.

Advanced Gardening Tip: Don't place significant gardens in your primary residence (the place you go to when you click on 'home'). Every time you port there you will re-activate the events that initiate plant needs. Instead plant your gardens in secondary residences. This way you can "freeze" a garden by simply not going to that specific residence.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
I played other online games where you could put your account on "vacation mode" begin on and come back on dates. You could not log in during this time and everything on your account would be the same as when you went on vacation garden, rank, win loss etc.

No energy needed, you just cant log in during that time. This is perfect for someone who has a massive garden or gardens who say has a death in the family or an emergency or even a vacation wow i could use one! :)

Ki this is a very reasonable request you could help players with