Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Azteca Story... I Don't Understand

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
774
I finished with my main wizard Azteca long ago. I did the big fight, tried to save the world, failed... and we all know the rest.

After a break I renewed my sub and continued my main wizard through Khrysalis. I have revisited Azteca a few times to check things out and the sky is still falling. Okay, so we can still visit Azteca and the apocalypse is still happening, a game mechanic allowing us to return to this world to clean up quests, farm bosses, get reagents, etc. just like all the other worlds. I understand... I get it.

But... then I got sent on a level 98 quest to Azteca! I went there to get a Dino egg... the guy I met there calmly told me where to go find the egg... huh? Obviously it took time for my wizard to progress from level 90 -> 98! No longer a game mechanic... the story is sending me back on quests to a world that should be destroyed by now?!! If the apocalypse somehow got prolonged... why aren't the citizens of Azteca moving to someplace safe? And the bad guys... why are they hanging around? Is everyone so apathetic they are just accepting their complete destruction? What's going on? I don't understand!

It is important for a story to make sense and follow a basic level of consistency.

Developer
RottenHeart on Mar 11, 2015 wrote:
I finished with my main wizard Azteca long ago. I did the big fight, tried to save the world, failed... and we all know the rest.

After a break I renewed my sub and continued my main wizard through Khrysalis. I have revisited Azteca a few times to check things out and the sky is still falling. Okay, so we can still visit Azteca and the apocalypse is still happening, a game mechanic allowing us to return to this world to clean up quests, farm bosses, get reagents, etc. just like all the other worlds. I understand... I get it.

But... then I got sent on a level 98 quest to Azteca! I went there to get a Dino egg... the guy I met there calmly told me where to go find the egg... huh? Obviously it took time for my wizard to progress from level 90 -> 98! No longer a game mechanic... the story is sending me back on quests to a world that should be destroyed by now?!! If the apocalypse somehow got prolonged... why aren't the citizens of Azteca moving to someplace safe? And the bad guys... why are they hanging around? Is everyone so apathetic they are just accepting their complete destruction? What's going on? I don't understand!

It is important for a story to make sense and follow a basic level of consistency.
It's true. It's not perfect. However, we thought that the Aztecan creatures would make really cool pets, and we needed to find a way to get you back there (it would have been too costly to build brand new environments, even heavily reusing Azteca assets).

As such, we tried to write the story a little tongue-in-cheek. For example, Edward Halley, when sending you on the quest, says "Years ago, before the tragedy of Xibalba" - so he's acknowledging that the end times are nigh. And he says to find Xipli Tailbiter, "If he's still alive, that is." (In the Sun Serpent quest.)

Finally, when you talk to Xipli, he says, "If that Egg hatches, it will ensure a piece of Azteca lives on." He's not unaware of the situation, he's just a little bit crazy.

As for the bad guys, some of them (like the Venomous Quetzals) are just animals that don't know better. Others, however, might not see anything else they can do, so they just continue doing what they know best.

So, I hope that reasoning makes a little sense.

cheers,
Jesse "King Artorius" Scoble

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
240
Your Royal Highness, I just assumed that the Apocalyptic event (that would be Xibalba crashing into the planet) caused a quantum phase time dynamic shift in the Spiral Portal to Azteca so that every time we try to visit Azteca it sends us back a bit in time to just before the total destruction of the planet and mass extermination of all residents. Your explanation makes more sense.

Champion
Jun 13, 2011
498
Well, nice of you to stop by and answer, your highness. Good of you to do that with your second story thread locked.

Other than that, I have a thought about Azteca's story. I had thoughts of what one of the Aztecosaurs spoke of destroying Xibalba before it can destroy Azteca, to quote the dialogue line "...what can slay Xibalba?". What does she mean by that? Is there some form of power or artifact or weapon built in ancient legends that has the capability of ridding Xibalba & sparing Azteca's doom forever? I had some thoughts about that for a while now. Could you care to explain about that? If there was to be an ancient artifact or some sort of weapon the Aztecosaurs built to destroy Xibalba as the means of defending their world from their cataclysm, wouldn't they have used it if Xibalba got closer to accomplishing Morganthe's goal of her Grande Prophecy & have their world continued on to live another day?

Speaking of Xibalba, I heard Morganthe obtained enough power to manipulate the Shadow Comet to her own ends. It's this because of using enough of the stolen secrets of the Astral Magic that granted her enough power to do that with the powers that came from her Deck of Shadows or just that?

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
284
Although i'm still far from reaching azteca, i think there should be a way for us to maybe "save" azteca, like maybe reducing xibalbas size or actually destroying it.

When i made my main wizard, i remember that i was a close call between balance and life, life won, but some of the balance wizard aspects got past down, such as, making everything equal

If i can't save azteca, i don't even want to go there, i would feel bad for the world and never forgive myself. This would give us a better understanding of the azteca storyline, and maybe granting the "savior of azteca badge"

Maybe we could save the world by making it necesary to save it to acces it's sister world, wich would be... Empyrea

i have heard of many people stating Empyrea is a place and we should visit it. wich is a close oposite to the roman culture? (assuming that this is a roman theemed world) the aztecan culture (mexico)! so maybe by saving it's sister world, we can find the key to it!

or maybe azteca is doomed and the mighty gods and goddeses of the world of kingsisle just KILLED A WHOLE (virtual) WORLD WITH LIVING PEOPLE IN IT!

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 32

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
284
woops! forgot that xibalba just dosent "stay there" and destroy everything, it shatters, so as a fix to my post, i mean that maybe we could "reform" the comet and send it away, not shrink of actually destroy it (silly me, i should get my facts straight! )

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 32

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
710
King Artorius on Mar 12, 2015 wrote:
It's true. It's not perfect. However, we thought that the Aztecan creatures would make really cool pets, and we needed to find a way to get you back there (it would have been too costly to build brand new environments, even heavily reusing Azteca assets).

As such, we tried to write the story a little tongue-in-cheek. For example, Edward Halley, when sending you on the quest, says "Years ago, before the tragedy of Xibalba" - so he's acknowledging that the end times are nigh. And he says to find Xipli Tailbiter, "If he's still alive, that is." (In the Sun Serpent quest.)

Finally, when you talk to Xipli, he says, "If that Egg hatches, it will ensure a piece of Azteca lives on." He's not unaware of the situation, he's just a little bit crazy.

As for the bad guys, some of them (like the Venomous Quetzals) are just animals that don't know better. Others, however, might not see anything else they can do, so they just continue doing what they know best.

So, I hope that reasoning makes a little sense.

cheers,
Jesse "King Artorius" Scoble
thanks for the answer.

However, may I suggest that you could alter Azteca so that there is a post-apocalyptic remnant, rather than having the apocalypse always going on? Perhaps though most of the planet was destroyed, some aspects lived on -- this seems to be the case with our own planet Earth, when the dinosaurs died off. Perhaps show some signs of ruined buildings, etc.?

That way returning players don't have to go back to the unpleasant atmosphere of perpetually falling skies. Also, a meteor shower is in fact a time-limited event; it is odd to have it going on forever. I imagine it might be less intensive on graphics too, with less ongoing animation. As it stands now, I personally almost never return to Azteca for any reason once my characters finish that area.

Just a thought for a future update, should you choose to consider it.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2013
14
I like the quantum theory it is lime the ocorena of time in magoras mask in which you have to stop a luner body from destroy ing the world

Survivor
Oct 26, 2013
14
The sister world is a good idea and it can be like azteca and there is a dungeon that let's us go to the ruins and there is a cutsean that shows that after your wizerd leaves the doomed azteca the comet hits azteca and tones of notes fly out from the shockwave and to safety or it was all for nothing and there is a big crater that only wizerds that beat krisalis can enter that so!d make sense and be kid friendly

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
284
codyraven101 on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
The sister world is a good idea and it can be like azteca and there is a dungeon that let's us go to the ruins and there is a cutsean that shows that after your wizerd leaves the doomed azteca the comet hits azteca and tones of notes fly out from the shockwave and to safety or it was all for nothing and there is a big crater that only wizerds that beat krisalis can enter that so!d make sense and be kid friendly
Or, maybe with the newly studied level 100 shadow magic, they could control, reform or destroy the remains of the comet, plus it is the "shadow" comet, some (lvl 100 wizards) can control a small portion of this magic, so why not save azteca? then Kingsisle wouldn't have to make a giant excuse to go to empyrea, you want to save all the worlds? save azteca and therefore save it's sister.

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 34

Survivor
Feb 17, 2012
12
I always thought that the worlds you visited were frozen in time :P. If you notice it is always either night or day and you never see the sun rise or set. So I thought once you get to go to the world the world is frozen in time but NPCs and stuff could talk.

Champion
Jun 13, 2011
498
Maybe in some way shape or form, even while Xibalba's comet pieces are raining down upon Azteca, someone else may step up and unveil ancient Aztecosaur powers long forgotten and use that power to drive Xibalba and destroy it forever, thereby saving the world completely while the Wizards are heading to Khrysalis to end the Umbra Queen once and for all. Somebody's got to step up and truly save Azteca. You never know if that occurs one day. True, it was a tragic conclusion after finishing Xibalba, but that doesn't mean that the world can't be truly destroyed forever. In ruins, along with it's fabled cities after the comet's pieces rained down, maybe, but not eradicated from the Spiral itself. The way things end do not have to be exactly what we thought. There's always a bound to be a glimmer of hope to all worlds, especially at times where it is unexpected, yet needed, even to some worlds that are believed to be destined to be doomed.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
139
King Artorius on Mar 12, 2015 wrote:
It's true. It's not perfect. However, we thought that the Aztecan creatures would make really cool pets, and we needed to find a way to get you back there (it would have been too costly to build brand new environments, even heavily reusing Azteca assets).

As such, we tried to write the story a little tongue-in-cheek. For example, Edward Halley, when sending you on the quest, says "Years ago, before the tragedy of Xibalba" - so he's acknowledging that the end times are nigh. And he says to find Xipli Tailbiter, "If he's still alive, that is." (In the Sun Serpent quest.)

Finally, when you talk to Xipli, he says, "If that Egg hatches, it will ensure a piece of Azteca lives on." He's not unaware of the situation, he's just a little bit crazy.

As for the bad guys, some of them (like the Venomous Quetzals) are just animals that don't know better. Others, however, might not see anything else they can do, so they just continue doing what they know best.

So, I hope that reasoning makes a little sense.

cheers,
Jesse "King Artorius" Scoble
This does make it seem better and make more sense. But, just one thing I'd like to know, would it be possible to make it just a little more, apocalyptic? Like, maybe have some Aztecan ships in the distance moving away, and every now and then one gets hit by a meteor? (Its a little dark, I know, but it could of still happened) or maybe just the NPCS running and or ghosts? I'm not sure how much it would cost, and you guys probably wont, (Which is completely fine if you can't)
But just maybe something else to make the moment?

Anyway, its still a great story, and I'm not saying going back there doesn't make any sense, because the way i look at it, maybe they are all ghosts now? (whatever)

Anyway, great work on the game! I can't wait for the next world! (I've made a few suggestions for world ideas, and new magic ideas, not that it matters)


Defender
Dec 20, 2008
139
RottenHeart on Mar 11, 2015 wrote:
I finished with my main wizard Azteca long ago. I did the big fight, tried to save the world, failed... and we all know the rest.

After a break I renewed my sub and continued my main wizard through Khrysalis. I have revisited Azteca a few times to check things out and the sky is still falling. Okay, so we can still visit Azteca and the apocalypse is still happening, a game mechanic allowing us to return to this world to clean up quests, farm bosses, get reagents, etc. just like all the other worlds. I understand... I get it.

But... then I got sent on a level 98 quest to Azteca! I went there to get a Dino egg... the guy I met there calmly told me where to go find the egg... huh? Obviously it took time for my wizard to progress from level 90 -> 98! No longer a game mechanic... the story is sending me back on quests to a world that should be destroyed by now?!! If the apocalypse somehow got prolonged... why aren't the citizens of Azteca moving to someplace safe? And the bad guys... why are they hanging around? Is everyone so apathetic they are just accepting their complete destruction? What's going on? I don't understand!

It is important for a story to make sense and follow a basic level of consistency.
I look at is as the smaller meteors already killed most of them, and they are just ghosts. bound there until Xibalba finally hits. (Remember comets are stinking huge, it could of been years away)

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
139
lifedude2002 on Mar 31, 2015 wrote:
Although i'm still far from reaching azteca, i think there should be a way for us to maybe "save" azteca, like maybe reducing xibalbas size or actually destroying it.

When i made my main wizard, i remember that i was a close call between balance and life, life won, but some of the balance wizard aspects got past down, such as, making everything equal

If i can't save azteca, i don't even want to go there, i would feel bad for the world and never forgive myself. This would give us a better understanding of the azteca storyline, and maybe granting the "savior of azteca badge"

Maybe we could save the world by making it necesary to save it to acces it's sister world, wich would be... Empyrea

i have heard of many people stating Empyrea is a place and we should visit it. wich is a close oposite to the roman culture? (assuming that this is a roman theemed world) the aztecan culture (mexico)! so maybe by saving it's sister world, we can find the key to it!

or maybe azteca is doomed and the mighty gods and goddeses of the world of kingsisle just KILLED A WHOLE (virtual) WORLD WITH LIVING PEOPLE IN IT!

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 32
While i thought the same thing, No good story of a hero is good without at least ONE entire country/world/planet being completely wiped out from existence. Like in Star wars with Alderaan, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and earth gets blown up. (And rebuilt by a british alien guy)

Survivor
Jul 15, 2013
12